"Unprecedented" Midwest CWD Meeting...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Wild Thing, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Dish7

Dish7

"Attendees looked beat" and the discussion had to be "jump started." Not good...and not exactly unprecedented.

2. Dale Malusi

Dale Malusi Banned

They got the wrong experts.
    We have them right here.
    All of which proves...They got nothing.
    Maybe killing more insects?

3. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

You can't expect much from a first meeting of this kind. Hopefully they have made connections amongst themselves and will figure a way to keep each other in the loop as research progresses. Honestly, someone who was in the audience saying they looked beat does not mean much.

Good luck this season everyone.

4. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I wasn't at the meeting, of course, but perhaps "Frustrated" may have been a better description. I can only imagine how these researchers/biologists/deer gurus are feeling at this point when little progress has been made to better understand and combat the disease...anywhere - not just in their home states.

I have only been directly impacted by it since last October and I already know how "frustrated" (maybe a little "Bewildered") I am about it.

Thanks for trying to look at it from a positive perspective Nostromo.

Justsayin, sparky18181 and Dish7 like this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Seems that if they truly feel it threatens hunting (and therefore income) an increasing portion of their budget would be dedicated to CWD research. I hope this is the first of many discussions, and they get more productive.

sparky18181, Wild Thing and Dish7 like this.
  6. Waif

Waif

The suggestion to network more among states in order to have more realtime intel vs isolation among states was a good one.

Why would states not? There are reasons.
    Should they remain reasons to not freesource what's new in trends?

Dish7, Wild Thing and sureshot006 like this.
  7. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

a list of areas where they believe scientists should focus their research. Those included disease dispersal vectors; how to persuade hunters to buy into state management tactics; the risk the disease poses to humans and the role insects might play in spreading prions, misshapen proteins that cause chronic wasting disease.

"The role insects might play" is a new one for me. Perhaps we better not feed the little buggers when we have a picnic. That might soon be included in the no baiting and feeding ban. o_O

Dale Malusi likes this.
  8. When you don’t really have a handle on something you have to include damn near every possibility and then try to start eliminating things until you can concentrate on the things that might actually be the root of the problem. Let’s hope insects don’t play a role.

Dish7 likes this.
  9. Waif

Waif

Horseflies, deerflies, stableflies, ect..
    All those summer time welts on deer hides...
    More speculation , but hey ,them things don't disinfect between bites either.

10. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

If insects can transfer other diseases I dont see why they couldnt spread CWD. But then again I thought the current knowledge was it took a lot higher "dose" than would be transmitted by a bug bite.

Dale Malusi likes this.
  11. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

They tell us to put carcasses in the land fill .Going down 131 last week there was about 50 vultures standing on top of the hill at the Pierson landfill .This stuff does not get immediately buried and it's a mad rush by these birds to get the easy pickings as a new truck empties .I have heard nothing from the DNR about them possibly spreading CWD .

12. Dale Malusi

Dale Malusi Banned

The DNR can't control the ticks, mosquitoes, vultures, eagles, ravens. bluejays, or anything else that feeds on deer.
    Except humans. So that's where their efforts are going. They will not contain this disease, they will control what they can. They can't control CWD, they never will.

13. Sparky23

Sparky23

Perfect example why they should try something new. Even though I still say it's not like this just popped up. It isn't the be all end all. Probably been around since cervids have been. We just found out how to test for it and gave it name. Disease happens... imagine if deer had as many as humans...

14. Dale Malusi

Dale Malusi Banned

Mandatory restrictions are not new. There is data out there on the change in antlerless harvest as the results of them.
    Will the presence of CWD change that?
    And to experiment on such a small area. What will that prove?