Unmentionable Stream Question (Not about specific Locations)

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by docman90, Apr 26, 2018.

1. docman90

docman90

Hello,

First I would like to state this is not about specific locations or streams/creeks. I also used the search bar and could not find the answer to my question. My question is how do people fish these small streams tackle wise and what fish are in there. I have seen pictures of people catching fish from places that look more like a creek than a stream, not even a foot deep and 20 feet wide. Do they fly fish these small streams? Also I would like to try them and I am just wondering what to look for on the stream to get a gauge if it holds some good fish?

Thank you in advance and I am just looking for general information I don't want to know locations and specific stream names because I don't want anyone to intrude on your honey holes.

slowpaya likes this.
  2. BMARKS

BMARKS

I fish some small creeks that are even smaller. say 1-3 feet deep and maybe 5-10 feel wide. i use a 6ft ultralight and i usually fish with worms. just kinda bottom bouncing them with a shot or two like a foot above, i call it worm dunkin haha!

slowpaya likes this.

3. docman90

docman90

Thanks for the input. What type of fish do you catch there?

slowpaya likes this.
  4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Depending on where you are located, the small streams could hold trout, small mouth, chubs, etc. If they are coldwater streams chances are they will have some trout, and you can go after them with fly rod or spinning gear. With the fly rod, use nymphs, or dry's and see what they like. With ultralight spin gear, small spinners and worm ducking works good. Warm water steams more than likely will hold smallmouth, so target them with either rod and have fun.

slowpaya and Trout King like this.
  5. Waif

Waif

What fish can vary greatly.
    How they would get there for starters.

Anything from a sapling ,to an ice rod ,to a short spinning rod can work ,depending what is there.
    A flyrod? Why not? Will require a different presentation /method is all.
    I did best with a short spinning rod. Lots of undercasting /underhand pitching.
    Dabbling around structure or undercut banks works too.

Trout streams are usually on the regulations map. Check it out.
    Cold /cool water and lots of cover on edges are better bets for most fish.

A creek from a lake or between lakes can have whatever the lake has ,depending on time of year.

A light foot matters very much. Watch your shadow ,and wear cloths that blend with your background.

Nostromo, slowpaya and Jackster1 like this.
  6. Trout King

Trout King

If you find the right small stream and figure out what works for you there are great rewards.

Check some out, if looking for trout cold water temps are key.

[​IMG]

Steve, Munuscool, jeffm and 5 others like this.
  7. BMARKS

BMARKS

i fish mostly for trout. the cold water streams. i have never fished warmer water creeks before so i am of no help there. but you would be surprised at the tiny and i mean tiny like 2-3 ft wide streams that brook trout will be in.

slowpaya and Trout King like this.
  8. docman90

docman90

Awesome guys thank you for all of the info on what are hiding in these little creeks and streams and how to fish them.

slowpaya and BMARKS like this.
  9. Fishndude

Fishndude

You don't have to actually cast a fly line to be fly fishing. ;)

do a search for Dabbing - fly fishing

OldBuck and slowpaya like this.
  10. BMARKS

BMARKS

slowpaya likes this.
  11. BMARKS

BMARKS

Link didnt work. super duper.png

mjh4 and slowpaya like this.
  12. strmanglr

strmanglr

I really enjoy fishing small creeks. I remember having a good outing and suddenly I'm in water that's not much more than ankle deep. Thinking that was it for the creek I started headed for the car. All of sudden the water is calf deep, I make a cast, fish on! 18" smallmouth leaps out of the water. Continued to catch about 6 more before making it to the bridge.

It's so fun to find those small creeks that many never think of fishing.

I've found smaller lures that can suspend in a foot or more of water during reeling at a normal speed work well. I found my normal spinners and stick baits just ran on the bottom w a normal retrieve. An F5 rapala for instance can run in a couple feet of water whereas an F7 wouldn't for me.

I've also been in small trout creeks where any lure the trout wouldn't touch but a fly produced instant results. Been on big rivers where the same happens.

I make my own lures of a couple different sizes and tie my own flies. My days of paying $4.00+ for spinners has long been over. The money I've saved...

It's fun I guess to try different lures but I wouldn't pay more than a dollar for that super duper lure, probably not even that.

Presentation catches fish. Through all the years making different color lures, I think it hardly makes a difference.

I have seen bigger streamer flies catch bigger fish. I was on a tiny smallmouth creek at a nice 4' deep hole and caught about 4 fish in the 11-14" size. Tied on a bigger streamer almost twice the size and caught another 3-4 fish in the 14-17" size. They were hanging in the same exact spot and I made the same presentation.

Trout King, slowpaya and TK81 like this.
  13. strmanglr

strmanglr

You can also cast a bobber with a fly attached a few feet away.

Trout King and slowpaya like this.
  14. TK81

TK81

I usually fish a creek that averages about 8 feet wide and 8 inches deep on the opener. Runs though my in-laws back yard. Some holes push 30" deep. I catch chubs, shiners, suckers, brookies, and browns. Got an 18.5" brown a couple years back and a couple brookies around 11". Got a couple ditches within 10 miles of downtown Grand Rapids that have coughed up 5 lb browns, 10 lb steelies, and even some monstrous kings. Love the little steams and the surprises those undercuts and logs provide.

P.S. I dab garden hackle on my opener stream and toss #3 mepps upstream on the Grand tribs for the anadramous critters.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Munuscool, zig, Trout King and 3 others like this.
  15. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

watercress is an excellent indicator of water quality,if you see this,there are trout.in the warmth of summer a thermometer will also tell if waters are holding trout.

[QUOTE="TK81, Love the little steams and the surprises those undercuts and logs provide.

TK81, OldBuck, riverbob and 1 other person like this.