Unmarked Tip-ups

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Kidd17, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kidd17

Kidd17

CO informed me unmarked (name and address) tip-ups is a misdemeanor. Tried to find it in the fishing regs handbook with no luck. Is there any other hidden rules we should know? He let it slide but still seems pretty steep if it was ever enforced.

2. mcaram

mcaram

I looked it up in the past as I was curious. It's on page 10 of the current fishing guide under lawful methods, "Hook-and-Line Fishing: Fish taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately. No more than 3 lines per person (including tipups) nor more than 6 hooks or lures may be used. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or “night crawler harness” are counted as 1 hook (note: for crappie/perch rigs and umbrella rigs each hook is counted as part of total allowed). Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. Any number of hooks may be used on 1 line for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters (visit michigan.gov/fishing). All tip-ups and other similar devices must be marked with the name and address of the owner in legible English, either directly on the object or securely fastened to it by a plate or tag. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook and size regulations exist on certain streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, pages 28-32)."

itchn2fish likes this.

3. Kidd17

Kidd17

Well I overlooked that one.. thanks.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

Yeah I was told by a CO a few years ago about that. It was something that never crossed my mind before.

5. jimbo

jimbo

& that's the name of the owner, not user.
    So you can use somebody else's tip up, even if he's not there.
    that's how I take it

Burksee and itchn2fish like this.
  6. Waif

Waif

If you have address labels ,you can clear tape over them above water if looking for a quick fix till finding a better one.

7. Kidd17

Kidd17

That's a good idea. CO mentioned marks are supposed to be on the flags. May either just write it on the flag or use your idea taped to flag.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. RichP

RichP

That might be his personal preference, but I don't think there's anything in the actual reg that gets that specific.

9. matinc

matinc

This had been the law for many years. I am surprised you didn't get a ticket and have them confiscated. You should have. Ignorance is not an excuse. Every year I am sure my info is rewritten on my tip ups.

rugbym10sflyu likes this.
  10. tmitchell2889

tmitchell2889

I highly doubt you've never made an honest, innocent mistake before....

Cod, Overhead, gatorman841 and 5 others like this.
  11. Radar420

Radar420

Every time I've been checked by a CO they ask about tip ups being labeled.

I do like Waif suggested - address label with clear tape over the top. They usually last several years this way unless they get totally drenched.

12. toppm

toppm

Another easy way to get a ticket is being too far away from your tip ups. Like across the lake or in your house or car.

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  13. StumpJumper

StumpJumper

Th
    That' not true. I'e posted documentation from the DNR in here in the past. It is totally legal to sit in your car and watch tip-ups. There is also no set distance o n how far away they can be as long as you are able to get to them and are paying attention.

Jimbo 09 and rugbym10sflyu like this.
  14. matinc

matinc

Hey Mitchell do you read the rule booklet when you buy a license. It's in there. Honest mistake maybe but still in the rules. Not true about the car as long as your in control. We park all the time and run tip ups. The co s never questioned that. Our Co would have wrote a ticket for no contact information. I even watched a co measure a Pike to the 1/4 inch.

15. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I have seen COs trip a flag and look at his watch, for what that is worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.