Unlucky

Discussion in 'Big Lake Surf/ Pier Reports' started by snootman, Apr 17, 2014.

1. snootman

snootman

I somehow managed to foul hook a 15+ lb. class Steelhead off of a WSP yesterday. Spoon got lodged in the dorsal fin. Almost got it to the wall after a good 10 minute battle, and the hook popped free. Thats 2 wallhangers this month I lost. Hopefully the streak will end soon. :mad:

2. C.Smitty

C.Smitty

That's sucks, nothing worse than "the one that got away"

3. SalmonBum

SalmonBum

Can't keep a foul-hooked fish anyway. Has to be hooked in the mouth to be legal

4. Fishndude

Fishndude

The old "smacked it with the dorsal fin" trick, eh? I've met Salmon snaggers who were sure some of the fish were using their tails to smack big lead snagging "lures" before.

Is it maddening that you were fishing properly, and hoping for a bite from a fish like that, but one just happened to swim into your lure, and get foul-hooked? It's a big darned lake out there. How does that happen?

5. eggfly

eggfly

A buddy and I were trolling in about 100' of water 4 years ago when a dipsy set back at 175' went off. The fish pulled out an increadable amount of line in a hurry. We were both sure we had hooked into a very big wall hanger. After a very long battle we finally put a 15# king in the net: hooked right in the tail. So accidental foul hooking does occur.

6. redneckman

redneckman

My dad, uncle, and I were trolling east Gt bay and had a hard take on a downrigger with a mag spoon. It ended up being a 5lb king hooked right in the gut. We popped the hook and let him go on his way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  7. john decker

john decker

don't know if you guys have ever watched any underwater vids of salmon,trout hitting lures behind a cannonball.its amazing to watch as sometimes they swipe and miss afew times before clamping down on lure.i think some foul hooks are because of this.not saying its ok to keep snagged fish though.

8. redneckman

redneckman

It is crazy how many times they may swipe at a bait before they get it. Makes you wonder how many fish miss and leave or follow and never eat it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

9. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

I know how you feel. I lost my PB last season on the surf. It was a crowded spot and had to horse the fish from other guys lines. It was the one that got away. I'm still mad just thinking about it... It was 15 feet from the beach when it came off. The hit came when I went to the truck to grab my coffee and donuts.