Unlabeled treestand

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by phantom cls, Jan 25, 2018.

1. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

was reading a local judge sentences and seen alot tickets handed out for unlabeled treestand. i don't hunt out of a treestand and wondered what this fine was about?

2. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Stands on public property have to have your name in it.

It's in the Hunting and Trapping Guide

PWood likes this.

3. petronius

petronius

Stands must have your name and address, Michigan driver License number, or DNR sportcard number must be affixed in legible English that can be easily read from the ground.

4. GIDEON

GIDEON

I know the law, but leaving all that personal info out there makes me uneasy

kingfisher 11 and FREEPOP like this.
  5. UplandnWaterfowl

UplandnWaterfowl Premium Member

Same as duck blind on great lakes or perm fishing shanty, nobody I know likes putting all that info out in public. Wish they would come up with free tag you could get at from any license dealer with a random number on it but tied to your hunting/fishing license that you would have to stick on your stand, blind, shanty, etc. Then really enforce the law.

jimp, Birddogm33 and sparky18181 like this.
  6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

That's why they changed it so you only have to put a driver license number this year. Better than having to put you name and address on it in my opinion

7. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Probably a bad idea IMO. My wife and son have both gone thru identity theft thru a drivers license number according to the police Sgt. we had doing the investigation into my wifes problem. My son was hit with a 4k stereo system bought in British Columbia, Canada and two round trip tickets to Montreal for around another grand. We got that cleared quickly as we could prove beyond a doubt he didn't make the purchases but my wifes' problem took 4 years to clear up with a ton of damage to her credit.
    I haven't bought a deer license in years but if I remember correctly there was a number on it. That's the number that should be used or a license purchaser is issued a number at the time of purchase to be used for stands.

petronius and jimp like this.
  8. dead short

dead short Mods

For $1 you can buy a sport card and use that number for as long as you have it. They don't expire.

9. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

I was not aware of that. Learn something new every day. Maybe the DNR should make that number mandatory to go on all types of stands, blinds and permanent ice shantys.

10. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

How about trap tags?

11. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

Through the efforts of MDAA and Rep. Vanderwall, you can now use name/address OR driver's license number OR DNR Sportcard number to identify all permanent ice shanties. The DNR released that info in an email on 29 Dec 17. We had been working on that for a while.

I'm not familiar with the hunting regulations.

12. hawgeye

hawgeye

Buddwiser likes this.
  13. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

Given a choice, I'd go with the sportscard option after going thru identity thefts in the family.

Seems a simple solution. No names/addresses or DL #'s for some crook to use in obtaining identities.

William H Bonney likes this.
  14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

15. dead short

dead short Mods

Oddly enough, the way the WCO is currently written, the sportcard number is a valid number to use for ID for a trap when etched into the trap but not on the tag itself. (Subsection 3 deals with snares). See below.....would be nice for kids (and others) if the sportcard number was allowed on the tag itself.

(2) Except as provided by subsection (3), to use or have in possession in areas frequented by animals, a catching device of any kind for the taking of animals unless the name and address in legible English or the complete Michigan driver license number or DNR sportcard number of the user or individual possessing the device is permanently etched in the catching device, or there shall be securely fastened to each catching device a metallic plate or tag bearing the name and address in legible English or the complete Michigan driver license number of the user or individual possessing the catching device.