close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Umm, C'mere, Honey"

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Riva, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Not a adult-oriented "suggestion" , perhaps leading to something "else" (you know what).

Rather, a routine interrogatory surrounding what brand/type/flavor/varietal of honey that you have tasted and enjoyed.

WARNING: I am asking for your opinions regarding various "honey" products solely to support a new commercial "adult beverage" that I am currently developing to add to my portfolio. Not trying here to promote my existing products. Hopefully, some of you MS people like certain/specific honey brands and/or varietals. My recipe requires a "honey", "any" honey".

Plus, the honey can't be cheap, bland "clover honey" that you can buy at any supermarket. I'm looking for the super-good stuff. Here are a few products from the USA and beyond. Can be brought in from anywhere.

Happy to hear any/all honey suggestions.
    sourwood honey.jpeg honey-8.jpg

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

3. petronius

petronius

Would the alcohol in the "adult beverage" hide the subtle nuance of the honey?

4. junkman

junkman

Honey that comes from bees that have been pollenating a pine forest is pretty good.Has a slight piney flavor.About the only thing you can do is get samples from different areas and start tasting and blending.I seen a vender at a fair that had honey products and had a pretty impressive variety of honey.

5. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Star Thistle honey is my favorite. It's best on toast. Not sure about the beverage applications but apparently Star Thistle mead is a popular too. Then again, I recall using it for Monk's Blend tea on occasion. It's good stuff.

That's my $.02

PWood and zig like this.
  6. PWood

PWood

I've used thistle honey in several recipes. Gives them a distinct and pleasing taste.

7. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

My brother harvested honey from his bees last year that tasted like they had dined on mint. A very slight mint flavor, was very tasty!

8. neazor91

neazor91

Key lime honey is very good. The problem is finding it.

Mike

Mags likes this.
  9. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

Tupelo honey, not just the song by Van Morrison, expensive as heck and a short season for it as well.

Orange blossom honey.

You are best dealing with the apiary or a apiarist. Groebe Farms (Michigan based) was involved in a scandal a few years ago of pushing Chinese honey, some of which wasn't 100% honey and there have been other instances as well.

I'm lucky enough to live a few minutes away from Schramm's Mead, he is the author of "The Complete Meadmaker" and he produces some of the finest meads around. There are other meaderies nearby as well like B. Nektar that markets products that are more like beers being most of them are carbonated.
    Ken Schramm has always been very helpful and open with information on the few times I've ran into him at his place, he truly loves seeing people make their own mead.

PerchPatrol likes this.
  10. msfcarp

msfcarp

Never cared for honey, closest thing I like is bit o' honey candy.

PerchPatrol likes this.
  11. Fishndude

Fishndude

12. augustus0603

augustus0603

My friend works for Stakich in Troy, MI. He gets me the cinnamon infused raw honey, it's awesome on an english muffin for breakfast. They also distribute for Windmill Farms in Croswell. He gave me some of their raw honey but I've yet to try it because the cinnamon stuff is so good.