close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

U.P.

Discussion in 'Land Sale - Buy - Lease' started by DEDGOOSE, Dec 29, 2017.

1. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

I'm just kinda testing the waters here, Nothing absolute. I've been fortunate to live in N MI all my life, walk out back door and hunt. Always have had deer camps I visit, play cards, cook etc. But have never had the true getaway deer camp experience.

I've always dreamed of a U.P deer camp experience once before I die. So if anyone has a camp or cabin they no longer frequent for opener and willing to rent for a week. Property would be great but not required. Personally care less if I shot or even seen anything, simply the experience.

Probably be my gf and another couple. Cabin be left cleaner than found. Next deer season is along ways and this is more a feeler.

Firefighter likes this.
  2. tdejong302

tdejong302

http://www.powellshoreslodge.com is $500 for opening week of gun. Thousands of acres across the road to hunt. Has wifi and separate satellite up and down. propane fireplace. On Powell lake, very tranquil. Comes furnished, full kitchen and linens.

DEDGOOSE likes this.

3. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Hmmmm. Thank you

4. Alaby

Alaby

We used to rent cabins at Wells State Park near Cedar River in Menominee County, its $55 a night now, some sleep 8, some sleep 12. At one time we had so many guys we had to rent 2 cabins. Very rustic, no electric, propane heat, when we started they had wood stoves.Right on Green Bay.Had to drive a ways to hunt, but we did ok. Lots of state land.We used to have to reserve a year in advance because they were so popular, don't know about now
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=93&type=SPCG

DEDGOOSE likes this.
  5. hawgeye

hawgeye

6. Bomba

Bomba Premium Member

7. onenationhere

onenationhere

We stayed for handful of years at Halfway lake resort north of Newberry. Its a nice place, great setting. Don't run into many people hunting up there, never ran into a lot of deer either though lol.
    If you are looking for a place where you can get out of your blind and stalk logging roads then this area is it. Seemed like we had thousands of acres to ourselves.

8. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Lots of well intentioned folks have some great ideas for places to stay but for the REAL UP deer camp experience we need to find you something else. Surely the camp needs to be accessed down a rocky, muddy 2-track where the nearest neighbor is well beyond earshot. One with no electricity or running water. One where the mice scurry about at night in the otherwise deafening silence. One with wood heat, little to no insulation, and a genuine 2-holer out back. One with a half moon cut in the door, of course.

The place needs to be near silent swamps that have areas so thick that after getting that 3pt back to camp, the third deer seen in four days of hunting, you would swear he was at least 175 pounds. He would be one of your most cherished trophies. A place with a deer stand so far from camp it takes a half hour to traverse during normal conditions but only twenty very long minutes when the wolves start to howl off in the distance or the bobcat screams just as you are packing up to leave. All the way back to camp you pray your headlamp doesn't quit.

We need a place where mysterious night noises, surely made by a huge bear, wake you and very cautious investigation reveals a porcupine chewing on the side or under the structure. Before you fall back to sleep the coyotes open up so close you try to remember exactly where your ammo is.

That's the camp to find if you really want the UP camp experience and it needs to be found before it goes the way of the passenger pigeon. FM

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM
  9. Eric Bee

Eric Bee