U.P. opener

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Sampsons_owner, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

Good luck to everyone going on the UP opener. Stay safe and shoot straight. Steve

2. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

Made it up about five scouted for a hour and now cooking some chilli and spam over the fire. Good luck to everyone tomorrow and stay safe.

3. U.P.WoodChuck

U.P.WoodChuck

Good luck guys & gals! Things are looking good for the AM. Make it rain tmrw!

Fishfighter likes this.
  4. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

very surprised by the number of species spotted today and glad I could sit there with binos and watch the different species move and feed. Judgeing by all the wings and quacking I hear right now it may be a barrel burner in the morning.

5. The Doob

The Doob

No "barrel burner" where we are at. We haven't seen 10 ducks. The only duck we had come in and bagged was a wood duck that looked like it was hatched a month ago.

6. U.P.WoodChuck

U.P.WoodChuck

Saw way more people than ducks this morning. No wind. Enough mosquito's to drain a guy of blood in minutes. We need a good frost to take care of them.

Sparky23 likes this.
  7. Fishfighter

Fishfighter

Tons of kayakers and hunters showed up this morning .I never fired a shot despite all the ducks I located yesterday .

U.P.WoodChuck likes this.
  8. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Seen a bunch of ducks last night and set up there this morning in hopes that the wind would push the ducks into the calm pocket. Well only seen maybe 30 ducks all morning. Crazy there arent any birds around this area St Mary's. Seen a few birds shot today that sailed out into the water with no recovery attempted. It's sad. Also talked to a a guy that said they dropped 8 only found 2. Not good

9. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Unreal. There's some treasure hunt going on on the lake we're trying to hunt. Kayaks and canoes everywhere.

Sparky23 likes this.
  10. U.P.WoodChuck

U.P.WoodChuck

We got to our first spot an hour before shooting time and didn't launch. 4 trucks and trailers and couple of trucks that I'm sure are kayak hunters. Burned to the next spot just up the road and same situation. Saw a few ducks and shot at 1 woodie. Swing and a miss. Talked to a guy on the way out said he'd been there since 230AM and they were the 3rd or 4th group there. Crazy. Cant wait till mid October when I usually have anywhere I want to myself and can actually get ducks to work.

Bertslash likes this.
  11. craigrh13

craigrh13

We are on Munuscong. The skeeters are terrible. Not much to speak of for flight birds. We did ok though. Lots of hunters.

12. JeffroSoup

JeffroSoup

We hunted there also. Did ok. Shot 9 birds 1st day and 3 this AM. Mixed bag. Few teal, mallards, and woodies with a juvenile canvas back. There were tons of hunters. It seemed the birds already knew the deal. They were mostly All flying high and shy of decoys. Had a few groups come in and some singles that we pass shot to get our birds. It doesn't help when guys start shooting almost 10 minutes early opening morning. Still a good time.

13. U.P.WoodChuck

U.P.WoodChuck

Did better this morning. Different area away from the known floodings/marshes. Only one other group hunting it and we never saw them only heard them. Managed a BWT and an eclipse drake mallard. I couldn't hit a damn thing or we would have done a lot better. Mallards decoyed well but the woodies and teal were shy.

Attached Files:

14. craigrh13

craigrh13

Awesome! That’s the best report I heard all weekend. The mallards acted extremely intelligent. The skeeters flat out ruined it though. Absolutely terrible.

15. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

Was anyone hunting over in the Hayward Lake area Menominee County. Just wondering how it was haven't been up there in a few years.