Two Brothers Take 2 Deer Miles Apart

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Smith&Brownie, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

For us we really try to target does early on in the season. We have such an abundance of them on both the private and public lands we hunt, filling the freezer early with fresh venison is a priority for us most seasons. On this hunt my brother and I were able to harvest to big mature does. He was hunting the big woods in the UP and I was on the farm in the thumb.

Question for you! The second deer taken in this video was on a doe slightly quartered to me. The shot was back but took the liver. Would you take a shot like that? Looking back I was fortunate to see her drop, and I have confidence in my shot placement. But still this is a high risk shot that doesn't always work out.

sniper and TKZ Outdoors like this.
  2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Definitely shooting, wasn't quartered to bad at all. Good shot. Like to take them myself early as well, "pressure's off" then ;). Be here soon !

3. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

My parameters on quartering toward shots are that I have to be able to enter behind the shoulder, and exit in front of the liver. You had PLENTY of room, and I am guessing that you got both lungs as well as a part of the liver.
    <----<<<

snortwheeze and sureshot006 like this.
  4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Looked to me a bit further back than you were probably aiming, but that could be deceiving. Being a doe just milling around feeding I'd have waited myself but I dont think it was too bad an angle at all.

5. d_rek

d_rek

6. ninepntr

ninepntr

Great job!
    Got meat in the freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk