Twin 38"~ pike out of township park duck pond!!!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by DeerMag, Feb 2, 2018.

1. DeerMag

DeerMag

Catfishing last Spring, hotdog on a bottom rig. Pulled in 2 slimy surprises out of my local township duck pond! Who would have thought. Very substantial sized catfish here too. Have caught 3 over 20 pounds and multiple in the 10-15lb range. Screenshot_2017-05-20-16-59-35.png Screenshot_2017-05-20-16-31-25.png

2. FISHINGcuresALL

FISHINGcuresALL

I seen pictures of big Pike out of there. I thought it was photo shopped. All we ever caught there was dinky bass.

3. Fishndude

Fishndude

That/those are some skinny looking Pike. It is probably good that you took them out of that pond, to let other species multiply.

4. fishinthed

fishinthed

Wow, great catches! That pond must be spring-fed, or have some source of cool water for pike to grow that long. May have been skinny on account of being spawned out.

5. piketroller

piketroller

This is s good example of both fish reaching the maximum length supported by the size of the water and food source available. They are both really skinny but have vastly different sized heads. The one with the larger head is probably 4 or 5 years older than the one with the smaller head. Maybe we can get a fisheries biologist to notice this thread and give us his professional opinion instead of just my educated guess.

6. fishinthed

fishinthed

Yeah, could well be about as big as they get there, unless it has a cool water source. In the summer I'd be thinking they'd tend to be skinny on account of metabolism, but in the spring the water would be cooler, so I'd expect them to not be so skinny, unless they're just done spawning. Would not expect males to get that long in such a small body of water. But it could have river water or be spring fed, for all I know.