Turkey Tails

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Mich. Buck Wacker, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mich. Buck Wacker

Mich. Buck Wacker

I got my first turkey today and I took the fan off and would like to put it on a plack. What do I need to put on the base of the fan to preserve it?

2. chris_kreiner

chris_kreiner

First make sure you get all the meat and fat off, a fine wire wheel works good for that. Becareful you don't get any feathers sucked into the wire wheel, it will suck it right out of your hand. As far as preservative I use a mixture of baking soda and borax, that seems to work out really well. Get a piece of 1/2" foam insulation, spread out the fan evenly and pin in place. Let dry for a week or two and it should be all set to go. I recommend leaving a few inches of skin and feathers infront of the fan to fill things out. You can always trim this after it is dry to fit the panel correctly. Good Luck!!

3. gunner7848

gunner7848

This is the same way I do my fan I use epoxy to to seal everything up

Make a Wild Turkey Tail Fan Mount - in one afternoon
    by Fred Lutger

The trophies on a gobbler are the tail, the spurs and the beard. You can make an attractive mount for them yourself, it's easy and you can do it in one afternoon.
    [SIZE=-1]You will need the following: 2 tubes of 5-minute 2-stage epoxy, one box of 20 Mule Team Borax, a sharp knife, one roll of Duct tape (duct tape does not stick to turkey feathers), and a flat surface to work on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Tail Fan:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Grab the turkey's tail where it joins the body. Feel for the round knob that is the meat portion that holds the tail feathers. Grip the knob firmly and cut off the tail feathers close to the body. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]1. Lay the tail on a flat surface and scrape away all the meat with a knife. Be careful not to cut between the feathers. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Click on any picture below for a larger, easier to see, picture.[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]2. You need one box of 20 Mule Team Borax. It preserves the skin and keeps insects from getting into the tail later on. Dump lots of Borax on the base of the tail and rub it vigoursly on the tail base, both front and back. [/SIZE]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]3. Spread the feathers out evenly (on your flat surface). Use duct tape to hold the fan feathers in place.[/SIZE]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]4. Mix together the two parts of a tube of 5-minute 2-stage epoxy and coat the base of the tail where the meat was removed. Wait 30 minutes.[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]5. After waiting at least 30 minutes, turn the fan over and epoxy the base on the other side. (Leave the duct tape in place.)[/SIZE]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [SIZE=-1]6. Wait another 30 minutes and remove the duct tape and you're done with the gobbler's Fan.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Beard:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Remove the beard by holding it where it is attached to the body and cut it off with your knife. Rub the base of the gobbler's beard in the Borax.[/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=+1]Spurs:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Cut the turkeys legs off at the first joint. They do not have to be preserved.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]You are ready to make your tail mount display. [/SIZE]
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  4. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter

Thanks Gunner. I am going to sticky this thread.

5. tazzymoto

tazzymoto

You will get a much nicer looking tail if you wash it in hot soapy water, I use dawn, then rinse several time, make sure you get all the soap out, then blow dry with the wife hair dryer, then arrange the feathers use small pins to hold them in place , then bondo the quils

6. neil duffey

neil duffey

:yeahthat: except i dont use bondo because it messes up your brain long term so i use zapagap

7. tazzymoto

tazzymoto

8. Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson

don't worry Tax, you don't have one to mess up. :D

9. MERGANZER

MERGANZER

Or you can take the fan and soak the meat end in coleman fuel for a day then take out and borax and spread the fan out and pin down. I usually take a piece of cardboard to place over the tail and pin that so the tail is nice and flat and you don't have to worry about the duct tape ruining the feathers.

Ganzer

10. Mitchell Ulrich

Mitchell Ulrich

(1) Use blue painters tape, less tack. Pressing tape against a tee shirt will make it even less tacky, perfect! 2 strips will work, but I form the letter "A" with the third strip to hold the second row in place, Either dog ear the corners of the tape, or be sure that the ends extend well past your work.
    ALWAYS remove the tape SLOWLY at a sharp angle UP and WITH the feather, NOT against it or you could damage a feather.

(2) I like bondo, but I also have good ventilation. Dont just glob it on. Use only enough to cover the feather quills, then I cover it with aluminum foil to keep it from sticking to the table when I turn it over. It also makes the bondo FLAT. Foil the under side (which will now be the top side)as well and smooth it flat before the Bondo kicks. This will make inserting the whole fan into a holder (if used) or a mannikin's tail slot (for us Taxidermist) a million times easier!

(3) Keep only the main tail feathers (fan) and the very first row of feathers only. Makes for a cleaner looking mount.

(4) Dawn is great, after that I pour mineral spirits over all the feathers and soak the Quill end in a plastic bucket for about 10 minuets. This does two things. (1) Removes preening oils and helps melt away small bits of unseen fat. (2) Displaces water from feathers which really speeds up drying and adds a sheen to feathers.

(5) Go easy on the powdered borax! The amount of fat left will be minimal if you've cleaned everything like you should have. Use just enough to cast the quills. This stuff will dull feathers if it's just dumped it on. Always keep things neat and clean while you work. You'll be glad you did!

(6) Large volumes of semi warm air is what you want, so for that reason I use my shop vac. Don't forget to clean the inside first. You don't want to blast dirty air into your now clean, but wet feathers! (See the last line in #5)

(7) See all of those ratty looking "cuts" in the very ends of the fan in the photo? (#2 and especially #3, left to right). Those can usually be closed up by breathing very heavily into your hands until they feel moist. Gently sandwich your palms between the offending feather and gently pull up and it should smooth out. Stubborn ones may require steaming. Just don't go all crazy and burn yourself on the steam. It's only a feather and they are somewhat delicate. Just a second or two burst is all that's needed.

Mitch

11. HardWayMike

HardWayMike

So the turkey legs do not have to be preserved? By that do you mean that they will not rot and stink or do you mean you hope that it is going in the man-cave? lol

12. deathfromabove76

deathfromabove76

drill holes in the top of em and pack borax in em. position em the way you want let em dry. then you can clean out the borax when its dry and glue in some leather lace thats what i used and hang em with your fan

13. AR34

AR34

Here is the best way I have found. Cut off as told above. Spread out on cardboard, trace the tops of the feathers in the shape of the fan. may need to pin it open. Pluck the feathers back to forward starting with the longest ones. layout on your traced cardboard. make sure the first row looks nice and round at the top. Start at the lower edges and work up to the center. the middle (longest) feather will be the last and on top, move to the second, third, fourth, covering the center with bondo at least twice. make it thick enough to put a screw in to hang it.
    When you get 2 layers of bondo you can then hot glue the rest. fill the center anyway you want.. done in a hour if you have done a couple.
    If you are near Tecumseh I will help you do it for free. pm me

14. iLiveInTrees

iLiveInTrees

Go to McKenzie or Van dykes and buy a bottle of Knobloch feet preservative, or one of their other preservatives. Knolboch is the best as it contains some sort of filler to prevent shrinkage.

Borax is ok, but I like to make sure that everything is preserved, and sealed from bugs. I don't like my trophies to get eaten by little bugs, and the only way to ensure that is chemically.

15. MRocks

MRocks

I use caulk from a tube instead of bondo. Put plastic wrap underneath the base of the fan, squeeze caulk into the tail, wrap the plastic around the caulk and squeeze it into the cracks. Let it dry and you're good.