Turkey hunting with a bow

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Flight of the arrow, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Often thought about giving it a go but never have, looking for a little advice to shorten the learning curve. I know it’s easier out of a blind to get drawn back on one but what else should I know ?
    Flight

homer666 likes this.
  2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Killed my one and only with a bow. 41 yards :) I'd say go for 1st season so they're not as "smart". Shot mine in the fall.
    20151020_085421.jpg

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Just one for me back in 2004 got a heart shot and it went about 15 ft .Tried in 2005 and called in the biggest tom i have seen and only managed to take a single feather off his back ...went back to shotgun after that . IMG_0807.jpg

4. waxico

waxico

Nice display system 30. It appears you have a lot to display....

Thirty pointer likes this.
  5. ezcaller

ezcaller Premium Member

Practice with all you equipment blind,stool etc. If in a blind set your decoys close with male deke closest anywhere from ten yard to your comfort range. If you hunt with out a blind move them a bit father out. Toms usually approach the male decoy from the front so set up accordingly.

Hoytman5, itchn2fish, Namrock and 2 others like this.
  6. Just Lucky

Just Lucky

Be committed..leave the gun at home. A bird at 20 yards is no give-me! Decoy(s) set-up @ 7-15 yards with primary attraction decoy facing blind. Patience..give the tom a chance to come in and give you a good shot opportunity. Turkeys have a relatively small archery kill area, know them and restrict your shots accordingly. Honestly, twenty to twenty-five yards is a fairly long shot. We don't want to lose the bird.

Unless one uses a "head chopper" type head, there often is no to very little blood due to the feathers soaking it up. Get on the running bird immediately. Also, make sure your limbs or arrow do not hit the blind at the moment of truth.

Turkey hunting with a bow is great fun and challenge. I could not imagine chasing turkeys any other way but shot discretion is absolutely a must. Have fun!

itchn2fish, Namrock, Bowhunt and 4 others like this.
  7. awfulpotent

awfulpotent

They love to "jump" on the release like bread out of a toaster

8. Just Lucky

Just Lucky

LOL! You're right about turkey movements being incredibly quick, but that is just another excellent reason to restrict your shot(s) to within 7-15 yards with the Tom's back to you, or at least with his focus lasered in on the decoy set-up. Patience is the key. With the right shot, the only jump occurring is once the arrow strikes!

itchn2fish and awfulpotent like this.
  9. don

don Premium Member

Hit them high and watch them die....
    Hit them low and watch them go....
    The objective is to break down the vertebrae/skeletal area with an arrow. Body shots can lead to lost, but probably dead birds.
    I want my Dave Smith hen (I only use one decoy) no more than 5 yards from my blind and my upper half is entirely dressed in black as in brighter light conditions camouflage is easily seen, even thru mesh.
    Turkey specific broad heads are not necessary unless you intend to decapitate the bird.
    Expandable heads help but any head you can kill a deer with will also kill a turkey, shoot what shoots best for you, just aim carefully, take your time, and do it !
    One last thing.... If MS member “Ack” happens to reply to this thread believe everything he says, he’s
    “The Man” when it comes to “Stick and String” turkey hunting.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. MPOW

MPOW

killing one in the woods on public land with a gun on the move and calling with no decoy is way harder than bringing them to a set field blind on a private farm....jmo

backstrap bill likes this.
  11. Ack

Ack

Thanks for that Don You pretty much nailed it.....decoys close, all black in the blind, large broadheads, pick a spot and don’t rush your shot. There is also still some good info in the old sticky up top, but unfortunately a lot of the pics are gone. If I ever get some free time I’ll try to get some updated pics for the thread.

12. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

- get a double bull blind
    - learn and practice to shoot off your knees

Flight of the arrow likes this.
  13. outdoorsaddict99

outdoorsaddict99

Never had a problem on public land in the woods where I hunted. Opening morning If I didn't kill one After they pop off the roost, walk two tracks until you get find one that's hammering and fired up, shut up and close the distance as quickly and as close as you dare, then hit a few yelps and they typically have been in my lap within minutes and its all over. Just gotta weed thru the jakes. Two years ago was last time I did the state land deal and I called in 13 jakes usually in groups of 2 or 3 opening morning before I filled my tag on a gobbler that mid morning.

itchn2fish likes this.
  14. Martian

Martian

I would go to youtube and look up shot placement, it is not very big, I would suggest shooting from a blind, and I would also suggest practicing shooting from the blind. I would not shoot a bow through the screen. and a good camo in a blind is black. I would also set dekes 7 -10 yds out assuming he is going to the tom, i would have the tom either broadside or towards me. look at the Texas Heart shot, all tail feathers point to your shot, good luck

itchn2fish likes this.
  15. Martian

Martian

oh yeah close with a mouth call if you can

itchn2fish likes this.