Tube Jigs

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by adam bomb, Apr 1, 2019.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

Anyone build their own tube jigs? I bought the Do-It model Tube-TA 1/32 & 1/16 oz.Tapered Tube Jig mold and bought the 2X strong Mustad 32833BLN #6’s. Unfortunately the eye is too short to fit the mold. For the guys making their own. Did you modify the mold or use an alternative jig hook that will fit the bill for steelhead? I have a dremel with a small ball grinding tip I think would do the job easy enough. Just looking at an alternative hook before I do it. Didn’t really find one in my searches. They seem to be standard wire hooks. Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

I don't make them myself, but I know a few guys that do. They modify the mold.

adam bomb likes this.

3. Clum

Clum

I had to modify the mold. I still have problems getting a good pour unless I really get the hook/mold area hot too. Youll have a problem on the inside bend that goes towards the eye. However, even if you dont get a good pour, as long as it holds tight who cares. Unless of course you're painting yours and making them fancy pants. Mine just go in a tube skirt. Killer for browns and steel in slow water.

edit: I noticed you have a short shank towards the eye which is what you were referring to. I cant remember the model # of aberdeen mustad I ordered but its deff not as short as yours. I had to modify mine only because the hook was too thick for the pre-cut groove. I still think youll have the same problem as I regarding lead getting to the inside bend.

Any reason you chose that hook?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. adam bomb

adam bomb

Because it’s 2x strong and the same hook I use in another mold for rabbit fur and marabou jigs.

5. Clum

Clum

Man, Im full on demented today. Im using the same hook, but in 1/0

After grabbing my mold I remembered that I also drilled out the eye a bit larger. Not sure if that'll do the trick with a #6. You can see where I opened it up. Think I just used a 3/16 bit to open it up a little.

[​IMG]

adam bomb likes this.
  6. adam bomb

adam bomb

And that’s what I was gonna do. Either drill or Dremel out the eye relief to accommodate the hook eye

7. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I modified mine to allow the shorter eyes with a 1/8” end mill with a drill press. Worked great and was easy..

adam bomb likes this.