Trying to get dialed in

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Fiskr Hundr, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM.

1. Fiskr Hundr

Fiskr Hundr

In an effort this year to do more precision trolling instead of just "that looks pretty good" trolling, I have a question for those in the know. I've got some Magda 30 reels that are the line counter type that I use for running dipsys and leadcore in the fall for Salmon. They are spooled up with 30lb big game mono and a few of them have a couple hundred feet of 30 lb braid for running the dipsys.
    I want to swap these reels over to my Walleye rods. I'm going to cut off the leadcore and probably even the braid because I know that doesn't hold well in the planer board releases. Is there any advantage to splicing a couple hundred feet of some lighter pound test on to the 30 lb? Bottom bouncers are what I'm most comfortable with, but I'd also like to start running a bandit program this year if that's what the fish want on any particular day. Of course these reels are a bit of overkill for Walleye, but do I really need to go out and buy 6 smaller levelwind, line counter reels? Thoughts anyone?

2. Dynrat

Dynrat Premium Member

Nothing wrong with running a “backer” to fill the spool. Most shops do it that way if you are running expensive line. A big backer of cheaper line to fill the majority of the spool. You just have to make sure you have enough of the actual fishing line to cover your maximum length. Just calibrate your line counters once your done and you should be all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Johnnydeerhunt

Johnnydeerhunt

Exactly! And most of the dive curves are going to be for specific line types/diameters. So, you might want to focus in on those lines what you choose. Additionally, that lighter diameter line will give the Bandit's a better action in most instances. Nothing wrong with putting a lighter diameter "top shot" over the 30# that covers the max distance you plan on putting out your sets/boards.

4. WillG3

WillG3

A
    If I’m understanding your question correctly... Yes, you will want lighter test as your terminal line so you can accurately determine how deep your Bandits are running based on the amount of line you have out. Typically dive charts are based on 10 lb mono diameter. That’s what I use. No reason to buy all new reels (other than the obvious - buying new fishing equipment brings great joy!). Just splice 10 lb to your 30 and you’re good.

5. Slimshady

Slimshady

The line counters are only accurate with a full spool. If your spools are 1/2 empty you are likely only going out about 75 feet when it shows 100 feet on the counter. Maybe less. It's ok if they are off a bit, but it is important to know how far off, so you can adjust. If I know mine are off by 10%, then I just let out 55 feet to get 50. With crank-baits, if you are within 5 feet or so, it doesn't change the depth that much, especially the further out you go. For example, a Bandit will dive 12 feet at 45 back and 13 feet at 50 back.

In most cases 1 foot off one way or another is not going to make a huge difference. Unless of course you happen to be having sex, then it is a big deal. :p

6. Hitstick

Hitstick

I used my foot once I didn’t know what I was stepping into

7. Slimshady

Slimshady

If your whole foot went in, you have bigger problems, and so does she... Was that with a shoe on, or not? :cool:

8. Fiskr Hundr

Fiskr Hundr

Thank you for the awesome replies and info gents! Even the ones that were just slightly off topic.;) WillG3, I guess I'll just have to take one for the team and sacrifice a little "new equipment euphoria" by buying a spool of 10LB without sacrificing $$$ on 6 new reels.
    Thanks for the recalibrating tip Slim, in all my excitement I probably would have blown right by that all important step.
    I'm even tying my own crawler harnesses this year. Now if I could figure out how to make my own Bandits..... Please, don't even get me started.
    On second thought, my Son, great fisherman by the way, is an engineering student at Kettering and has become quite the master at 3D printing. Oh crap, there I go again.

9. WillG3

WillG3

I think I saw that video...

10. Hitstick

Hitstick

You must have a vhs player still