Trout Fly Rod Recommendations

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Lemonader83, May 2, 2020.

1. Lemonader83

Lemonader83

Hey all. I've been out of the fly fishing game for many years and am looking to get back into it. Obviously, there are a million options that are new to me, and I'm wondering if you all could point me towards a good one along with the right line? I prefer my equipment be as light as possible typically. Trout only, I have a "big fish" fly setup already. Thanks in advance.

UBDSLO1 likes this.
  2. koditten

koditten

I've been running the Cabela's store brands the last couple years. I find them very comparable to my Orvis rods of the same weight.

If you don't fish a 100 days a year, you will not notice much difference...except the price:)

jd4223 likes this.

3. Lemonader83

Lemonader83

Thanks, my big rod is Cabelas, and I like it. I'm a 100++ day a year kinda guy so I'm looking to get whatever is best for that kind of use and abuse, plus precision!

4. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

I built a 5wt rain shadow and a 3wt American matrix. I like both. Both are nice rods but Wow is the 3wt fun! Nice little rod for up to say 20” trout. If you fish 20”+ regularly I would go to a 5wt

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. Lemonader83

Lemonader83

I don't see myself getting into 20+" all too often on this rod. More or a daily, whatever wants to bite rod./reel. You say you built one?

6. koditten

koditten

I've got 3 9wts that I never touch anymore. I use my 5 wt for salmon. Everything else is my sub 5 wt rods.

7. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I bought a sage foundation this year that I absolutely love. Wasn't super expensive either

Nostromo likes this.
  8. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Bought the blank and put everything on ot

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Lemonader83 likes this.
  9. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

i have a sage 3wt that i use for brookies and smaller trout

10. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

5'8" 0wt us my little trout rod. I've got a ton of use out of an orvis 9' 3wt that I've had for almost 30 years. The 3wt is my general go to rod. I've got 0 3, 5, 5/6, 7 and 9wt rods.

General trout rod..3, 4 or 5wt of any brand should work just fine for you.

boomer_x7 and koditten like this.
  11. lodge lounger

lodge lounger

Got a few 4 and 5 wts for trouting. Have gradually come to favor the 4's since I realized the extra distance I get with the 5's just magnifies my poor mending. Best value 4 I found is a Fenwick Aetos, look around and you probably can find one for under a hundred and fifty bucks. It sits rigged and ready for back-yard bluegills, rarely gets broken down, and hasn't taken a set in 3 seasons. Decent caster if you don't try to over line or over power it.

My current favorite is a mid-price model by Hardy, the Shadow. This thing makes even me look like I know what I'm doing. It weighs like nothing and in a day on the stream lots of other parts of my body get worn out way before my casting arm. I found it on sale for a shade over three Ben Franklin's, which was around fifty bucks below retail.

12. skipper34

skipper34

I have a Wright & McGill Granger Victory 8' 4 wt. Never have I used a finer rod. Bamboo rods are so sweet. This rod was made in 1932. It belonged to my grandfather.

Lightfoot likes this.
  13. NormD

NormD

Love my TFO's.

14. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Used my redington predator for the first time today. Was very impressed with it.

15. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Far too many variables to just say "Buy Cabelas" "Buy Orvis".
    How are you most often going to use the rod?
    Roll casting drys? You want a full flex rod.
    Stripping streamers and tossing mice? You want a tip flex rod.
    Nymphing and tandem wet/nymph rigs? Mid flex is probably best.

Water size:
    Big water? Tip flex for a wind cheating, distance adding tight loop.
    Small water? An easy loading full flex.

Skill/ experience level
    The more tip flex, the less forgiving the rod will be to timing issues.. but they can also be cannons when you need to cast into the wind or shoot out into the backing.
    You can always soften a rod by over lining it. (use a line heavier than its rating)
    The only thing you can do effectively under lining a rod is cuss all day..

Line weight- Irrelevant as compared to the fish weight. Leader and fly size you need to get the proper fly to the fish will dictate rod, line size and profile. Then you may need to make adjustments in reel. I use a 6 wt large arbor reel to present flies on a 1/2 wt heavy FWF 4 wt line on a tip flex 4 wt rod to present to 5-10# Carp, Most of the time the flies are heavily weighted for their size. The lighter line and leader don't spook wary carp as much, and I need the backing capacity when the game is on.
    (Yes they make lines in half steps. After enough time out there you will figure out what works best for YOU under certain circumstances. ) Fly casting is like golf, painting or whatever. What equipment works for me may not be the best for you.

And you wanted light. Light lightens the wallet. A lot.