Trolling reels?

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by dewy6068, May 10, 2018.

1. dewy6068

dewy6068

My el cheapo trolling reels have reached their end of life...looking for recommendations on the best reel to replace them with that is reasonably priced. I’m not looking to go super cheap again, but don’t want to spend more that I have to for a quality walleye reel with line counter. Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. coonhollow

coonhollow

Daiwa Sealine or AccuDepth

BrokenWing, chemo13 and scottyhoover like this.

3. pilatusbahn

pilatusbahn

What did you have? Or what is "cheap"?

Based on where you live, Northwoods has Okuma Magda. $39.00 I believe
    If not....stop at Frank's and they'll set you up.
    But I think the set of Magda on my uncle's boat have lasted now 8-9 years.
    So I'd say that's well worth the money

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

4. andyotto

andyotto

Got a couple okuma coldwaters last year for a couple short cores and really like them. Seem like a nice mid priced reel.

caash wortley likes this.
  5. dewy6068

dewy6068

I bought okuma Magda’s and cabelas trollmaster 2’s on cheap combos several years ago. They haven’t worked very well the past year or 2....always fighting with the line counters. I don’t want to go that cheap this time around. Would rather have better quality.

6. walleye50

walleye50

I run diawa sealines, but they run 100$ +, like mentioned above the okumas magdas would probably work, know couple guys that run them last few years seem to be working fine for them.

phantom cls likes this.
  7. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

the linecounter that you push down are the best by far. the ones that you have to push in don't last long. i run diawa sealines also, worth the extra money.

8. Slimits

Slimits

Been running diawa sealines for years. I replaced the drags with carbon disks on my salmon setups but for walleye i kept stock drags and they are great

9. grouse25

grouse25

Been using Diawa accudepth reels and very satisfied, big upgrade over the entry level Okumas I had before. And for 60 bucks they are reasonably priced.

10. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

The Okuma Magnas work, and depending how much you fish, should do you fine. You can jump up a grade and go with the "convectors". That's my plan...I've heard even though they're a step below the coldwaters, many like them better. They feel a lot more solid and smooth compared to the magnas also. I haven't a problem with the magnas, but I use the 30's and a few 45's right now instead of the 20's. Don't know if it makes a difference on the size, but they seem a little better.

11. Straight ahead

Straight ahead

I love the Okuma Convectors. Best reel. I really like the gear ratio, drag, and line counters.

What I love about the Daiwa's is they are great for gaining attention of near boaters watch you pump the rod to reel in lure/dipsy, thinking its a big fish. Their gear ratios, suck.

Walleye Wizard and Ralph Smith like this.
  12. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Depends on the model you get...only a couple of the convectors have the high speed(6.2-1) retrieve. The rest are no better than the Sealines 5.2-1. ;)

13. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

When we tested Okuma's, one of the biggest issues we always had (and still have) is the location of their button to reset the line counter. As phantom said, you have to push in on the buttons which tend to cause issues over time. Couple that with how you store them when not in use and theypropensity for the buttons to get pushed in or become lodged or jammed. The magdas and convectors use the same button system.

We also tested the cheaper Shimano reels. We had similar issues with the line counters but more issues with the drag systems. They just never seemed to get tight enough.

For their price point, the Accudepth has an excellent button system as you push down on it and not in on it. Unlike the "in" system, these have a harder time getting lodged or jammed in the rod locker when not in use. The sealine is a step up from that if you want to go the extra mile.

After my salmon days, I gave away every Okuma and Shimano I had (over 40). I did however keep every PENN. Currently, I have 20 Accudepth and sealine reels.

As for gear ratios. The Okuma Magda 15 (max of 15lbs of drag) has a ratio of 5:1:1
    The comparable Accudepth (the 17) has the exact same ratio.
    The Magda 20 is also a 5:1:1 ratio while the accudepth 27 is a 4:2:1 so that might be the difference that Straight ahead was referring to.

14. caash wortley

caash wortley

We run Okuma cold waters on our riggers, convectors on our dipseys and magnas on our boards.

15. Straight ahead

Straight ahead

The problem I have on the Daiwa's is gear ratio and lever arm. Daiwa will claim the ratio is the same, but I don't see where it is close. My favorite comparison is simply have someone lightly pinch line between their fingers (at the rod tip) and try to reel. You don't need a lot of pressure on the line, either. The Daiwa can't be done and the Okuma will keep stretching the line. I can live with a the counters resetting...that's our error.. just don't bump them. But if you can't reel a small fish in without pumping the crap out of the rod, the reel is junk. I have Okuma's and two 47LC's Daiwa's (w/ longer levers) and I still say the Daiwa's make great seaweight and not sealine's. If I was a charter captain, I'd have sealines on all my reels so the clients can think they are fitting big fish all day long. Sorry, I'm not arguing with people on here, but it's a true fact.