Tribal Fishery Takeover

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmarko, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Bigbear
    Doesn't the Treaty have a much bigger area when subsistence and netting rights are allowed? Inland lakes, streams, even private land.
    The Consent Decree does provide a restriction to where exclusive netting rights are allowed.

2. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

I haven't fished in about 5 years, gear and limit restrictions, dirty water, limited planting, politics.
    blah blah blah

This is POLITICAL. Thought that is Verboten.

garyb likes this.

3. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Everything has political undertones but the Consent Decree is an issue that is pertinent to our recreational/sport fishery. Would fall into the Natural Resources, DNR interaction with sport fishing. A very important topic.

Bucket-Back likes this.
  4. Zorba

Zorba

After reading the article again, ask yourself this question. Why would this judge grant The Sault tribes request?

You have to remember that the Sault tribe has only been in existence since 1976. Before that they were part of the Bay Mills tribe. So why would they be allowed more rights than any other tribe?

Sault tribe breaks away from Bay Mills, opens their enrollment and becomes the largest tribe East of the Mississippi.

In the future, what’s to stop a faction of Sault tribe members to break away and become the 6th tribe in the consent decree? The Mackinaw band of Chippewa is petitioning the federal government to do exactly that.

Someone is going to have to say enough.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:02 AM
  5. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

The Sault tribe was just throwing fuel on the fire. The Judge would not deviate from the 2020 Consent. The Judge just extended the deadline to the same previous decisions. The Sault tribe wanted to force the issue stating that if a decision was not made by the date they proposed the 2020 Consent would die and the 1836 decisions would apply. That would never happen, a sympathetic judge would get overruled by a higher court.

6. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Bigbear
    I just threw out that private land statement. I once heard that the Tribes were threatening to hunt the Canada Creek Club if the Consent failed. Just a rumor on my part.
    Tribes can hunt and fish public land but to what regulations. Sport fishers follow the rules set by the DNR. Basically "open season" for the Tribes, bag limits basically un restricted and not enforced. I hear they SPEAR walleye on a stream near Houghton and Higgens lake. Anglers cannot spear walleye. Recreational and Tribal fishing are not an "apples to apples" comparison.

7. Zorba

Zorba

Sorry Biggbear. You don’t have to believe me. Just go to the sault tribes website, click on story of of our people, and read it yourself.

8. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

[QUOTE="

Again, I will bring up the enforcement element of Tribal regulations. I'm betting there is little if any reporting of kills and catches. Cork Dust reports that tribal netting violations abound with little tribal court action. No reason to assume that the Inland Consent would be any different.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    John Hine likes this.
  9. Zorba

Zorba

No offense Biggbear but, your drinking way too much Sault tribe cool-aid. Irish and English? Really? Bay Mills, Sault Tribe, Garden River, Batchawana. You are all Nishe -Nabes. The same people. The Mackinaw band can make the same disrespectful claim against the sault tribe that you make against Bay Mills.
    Maybe you need to ask a Bay Mills elder why the Sault tribe broke away Neegie. I’m done here. Boma pi

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 8:33 PM
  10. wyandot

wyandot

[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you on this. Guys I know that subsistence fish don't report squat, and they report less than squat for deer.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Doesn't take much research to find multiple incidents of gross tribal negligence. We're not talking one fish over. We're talking abandoned nets which keep killing fish and pose a navigation hazard, sunk boats (remember our license money paid for this gear), daisy chained gill nets in LBDN, illegal selling and marketing of 1000's if not 100's of thousands of pounds of fish.

And the punishment is laughable. Hardly an incentive to stop.

I'd be a lot more willing to negotiate in good faith if I didn't see repeated f u incidents. I'd be a lot more willing to compromise if the majority of tribal members that did not break the law dropped the bomb on those that did, but it seems to be tolerated if not condoned.

Change my mind.

12. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

That's it! Arguing about quota's, fishing zones in the Consent Agreement don't mean squat and it's meaningless without oversight and enforcement. There needs to be a 3rd party court system for infractions. The DNR make violation claims, the Tribal courts are responsible for issuing penalties.....and of course, nothing gets done.

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

If you read the biweekly CO reports the last asection deals with commercial netting and often follows up with old issues telling what the fines and penalties were.

The ones involving tribal issues are "turned over to tribal authorities"

Seems to me either a conflict of interest or the Fox watching the hen house.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  14. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

That's what needs to change. Tribal courts really do nothing and the violations will continue.0

15. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

Now that my son lives in the Sault he has several friends that belong to the tribe. He said its hard to tell who belongs, some are blond and blue eyed. He jokes around about that. Not sure how easy it is to join? I know my brother was married to a gal in the NWLP. Her sister belong to a tribe but they would not let his wife join. Same mom/dad as her sister.