Trespassers, what to do?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by martini77, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Sounds to me like it may very well be squirrel "cuttings" as well. Your woods are "predominantly mature oaks"... If you have a squirrel or two around you have the perfect makings for it this time of year.

These are the cuttings from a single Red Oak tree in my yard which I planted maybe 17-18 years ago from an acorn. It just started producing acorns a year or two ago and this year it is just loaded. What you see on the ground has been cut by a single small gray squirrel in one week - the last time my wife mowed the lawn.

IMG_4063 (1).jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062 (1).jpg

and there are still more acorns to go...

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3996 (1).jpg

I posted some photos a while back of some broken limbs and branches where a bear climbed up one of my oaks and broke them down so he could eat the acorns on the ground.

If you set up your camera you are likely to confirm the culprit.

Tankster, up520, John Hine and 6 others like this.
  2. Radar420

Radar420

jonnyb, Dish7, brewster and 2 others like this.

3. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Dish7 and Radar420 like this.
  4. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

Well I'll just have to go look at my dropped oak branches for the oval hole.

5. martini77

martini77

The tree in question is over 2 ft in diameter and it is the only tree around with branches freshly dropped around it. I will get some pics of the branch ends later today. Definitely not a bug.

And yes, if it is a person, WTF are they doing "hunting" anyone's property already.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

My climbers would not fit a tree that large.

L & O

don and Howitzer like this.
  7. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Might just be a portable with climbing sticks. Set up, trim, for a season hunt. Trespassers ,poachers also prepare for the season.A sign and maybe some other indicators set up on the tree that need to be moved , would suffice.

gatorman841 and martini77 like this.
  8. Bob S

Bob S

A tree two feet in diameter sounds too big for a climbing stand.

martini77 likes this.
  9. martini77

martini77

I've never used a climber so I don't know how big is too big. The tree is at least 20" in diameter about 4.5' of the ground. Here are some pictures of some of the branches I saw on the ground. Squirrel or tool cut I ask? Thanks again for all the input everyone. PXL_20200916_233935506.jpeg PXL_20200916_234021544.jpeg PXL_20200916_234119087.jpeg PXL_20200916_234144765.jpeg PXL_20200916_234219892.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

p
    Poachers dont live by any rules seasons or laws they just poach. Probably best right now when the bucks are off guard still for a couple weeks.

martini77 likes this.
  11. aphess223

aphess223

Where he lives yea think it might be porcupines instead of trespasser.

martini77 likes this.
  12. Bigrigins

Bigrigins

Looking at the pics you posted , Im going to say that was done by an animal, I would think if it was done by a pair of shears or loppers the cut would be a lot smoother , those look like Naw marks from teeth . Just my 2 cents. If it is indeed a trespasser I hope you get them, nothing worse than a thief , liar, or trespassers!!

13. Howitzer

Howitzer

Put a connected camera on the tree, its the only way to find out 100% without finding out for yourself.

I hunt several small parcels and found that posting property and then putting cameras in obvious places where I think trespassers might be catches 99% of them quickly. The best set up is to put the sacrificial camera on the tree the sacrificial camera is a pos non-working camera where they are helping you by throwing it away, the trap is a working connected camera aimed at the obvious camera. Set the connected camera on instant transmission and if you have a trespasser you will have realtime info about what/whom is causing the damage its best to know in either case because if you focus too much on hunting hunters you will only blow your own chances at a deer.

martini77 likes this.
  14. Bucman

Bucman

Hunters are way easier to catch than a mature deer. And fun if its someones else's ground.

martini77 likes this.
  15. carpetbagger

carpetbagger

I agree, looks like an animal knawing on it.

If it turns out to be a low life, leave a note, hang a few posted signs on the boundary and photograph them to prove you are proactive in enforcement in the event they get torn down or ignored.

Keep us updated.