Trees down on my new property.

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Huntahalic, May 6, 2018.

1. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

Went to my new property today to see what the wind did in the woods. Expecting to see a big mess in the back where there is alot of dead Ash trees. What I saw was a bit more of a shock than I was expecting. Along the edges of the power lines a tree trimming company was there last week and dropped 30-40 maple and oak trees. They did a decent job cleaning up the tops and brush but left all the logs. Most are big mature trees and are left in long lenghts. Question I have is are they worth anything to a timber buyer or should I just give them up for firewood? Anyone with input or interest I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. mjh4

mjh4

Sell em you should make a decent profit especially from the oak!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Do they have an easement on your property? If they have it should show up in your abstract.

Other wise they should not be cutting your trees with at least contacting you.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  4. wildthing

wildthing

A buddy of mine sold 1 hard maple log (10' or 12' - can't remember) for $800 about 3 years ago. Not sure what diameter it was but I'm sure it was a big one.

5. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

Boy, I'd love to find out who it was that bought it. Some of the maple trees they cut were very large.

6. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

7. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

It's a substation transmission line, yes they have an easement. I don't think there is anything bad about what they did I just want to get the timber cleaned up. I understand they have a job to do and the power lines were there when I bought the property. It is what it is, but if I can make a couple bucks that would be great. If anyone knows who to contact let me know.

jr28schalm likes this.
  8. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

I am no expert in this area, but this time of year you may not get top dollar for them due to a large amount of sap in them. Many years ago a neighbor of my folks cut down some black walnut about this time of year thinking he was going to make bank. He contacted a sawmill and they offered him about $300 for 4-5 logs because of all the sap. He told them to F*** off and he would burn them. My father found out about this and gave him three chord of firewood for the logs. He went and had them cut into planks and put them in his solar kiln to dry and made all of his cabinets and the floor in his kitchen with them.

9. whitetail&walleye

whitetail&walleye

Straighter logs the better. Anything 10 foot or more nice and straight maple and oak should pull a couple bucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

As far as them leaving the logs ??
    They might have the intention of coming back to get them ?? (For various reasons?)
    They did that next to our easement. .
    Cut down everything and cleared the tops, them came and removed the logs about a month later. .
    I say get them before they disappear and then determine what you're going to do with them...
    Legally, I don't know what your /their rights are !!!!