Trapping Island Lake State Recreation Area

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Varner67, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Varner67

Varner67

I am a senior in high school and looking to start trapping this upcoming season. Does anybody have any experience with trapping at island lake or any advice anybody could give? Thank you.

2. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

No experience trapping there, had to Google it to find out where it was. Looks like plenty of lakes and streams in there from what I saw on Google maps.

Just started trapping myself last year but I would get some conibears. 110's and 330's, use the 110's to trap the muskrat and the 330's for beaver. Last year I got some #3 Duke footholds thinking coyote but they worked great on a drowning rig for beaver too.

Really all depends on what species you want to target though, so far I prefer trapping the water.

Check out https://www.fntpost.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5K_-88mQ6gIVi4bACh01bwM3EAAYASAAEgLbHfD_BwE for your trapping supplies and do some reading on the trapperman forum, tons of good info there.

Varner67 likes this.

3. Seldom

Seldom

Starting with water trapping is a wise choice IMO. Higher success rates for beginners and a lot less frustration equals a fun and successful endeavor! Other than what I just wrote there is one tip I can offer toward your success. Begin right now studying the furbearer(s) you'll be targeting and learn everything about each animal in order to gain intimate knowledge of the animal's habits and inherent tendencies. One thing about trapping, your success will be reflected in direct proportion to the effort you apply!

When I set my 1st coyote trap this November I'll be celebrating my 66th year trapping.

4. Grinnell

Grinnell

I’ve seen muskrat traps at river bend picnic area. Floating boards with apples on them.

Varner67 likes this.
  5. General Ottsc

General Ottsc

Get out and scout. Trapping furbearers is a lot like hunting; Got to be where the game is and where they want to be.

Read as much as possible and watch videos on online. That'll help with different trapping setups, equipment, and how to properly treat your fur(especially important). If you can find an experienced individual to show you the ropes, that would be best. Good luck this season!

Varner67 and Seldom like this.
  6. Varner67

Varner67

Thank you everyone! Very helpful. I am going to scout it out today!

Whitetail_hunter, Seldom and Urriah like this.
  7. Urriah

Urriah

Water lines are a great way to start. Listen to Seldom for sure.

Whitetail_hunter, Varner67 and Seldom like this.
  8. Raf

Raf

last year hunting out there I found an area along the river that was loaded with beaver sign. every tree for a long stretch was chewed up.

Whitetail_hunter and Varner67 like this.
  9. Varner67

Varner67

Do you remember the area?

10. Raf

Raf

yep if you want shoot me a pm with ur # and ill show u where it was at

11. CL-Lewiston

CL-Lewiston

All good advice. m not sure about the area(s) mentioned but are probably heavily used.. Remember this day/age too many have no morals in taking traps and catch.
    Around here better be careful w/ tree stands cause they sprout wings and are gone tomorrow.

Varner67 and Whitetail_hunter like this.
  12. goose schatt

goose schatt

I woudnt set floats for everyone to see....keep your traps out of sight to keep the honest people honest.....

I strongly prefer water trapping from November on...better fur and snow makes reading animal activity easier

Varner67 likes this.
  13. Lindsey

Lindsey

If your sets are at the river edge, try to set where a dog isn't likely to find it. People run hounds on rabbit near the river in parts of Island Lake Rec Area. Not unusual for a dog to go to the river edge where the bank is low to get a drink.
    Good luck, Island Lake Rec Area is a great place.