Training

Discussion in 'Waterfowl hunting dogs' started by N M Mechanical, Apr 12, 2018.

1. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

So since we have this new section what is everyone’s training goals for the year?

Lamarsh likes this.
  2. ajkulish

ajkulish

This years agenda focuses mainly on blinds and casting for me. Excited to get together with Lamarsh and the SCFHRC some as well, and get some tips from people much more experienced than myself.

3. lefty421

lefty421

I pick up my puppy this weekend, so not pooping in the house will be our first goal.

baby steps.

4. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Main goal is firming up swim by, something that has passed me by the past few summers with only myself and my lack of commitment to it to blame. Part of it was finding good swim by ponds that are close to me, which is tough. Would also like to get my dog to run tougher pattern blinds in deeper cover. We train too often at the same spots, so he has been memorizing things and it's been hard to build training momentum, so another goal of mine is to find more time to get to some different training grounds and change things up. Might have to have shoulder surgery in the next month or two, so that might throw a pretty bad wrench in the whole thing.

5. ajkulish

ajkulish

I have a field by my place that sometimes goes unattended with a lawn mower. Grass will get up to a foot long, great spot to do this.

Lamarsh likes this.
  6. N M Mechanical

I would not worry as much about what cover as I would the factors ie wind, land, old marks and cover

Lamarsh likes this.
  7. N M Mechanical

Personal dogs goals: kenny will be running both the Grand and master national. Also will be training to run some Q’s. Elli will be getting ready to run masters. I have some clients that will be running junior and senior stakes and one on the same stakes as Kenny

Lamarsh and Outdoor Gal like this.
  8. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Current goals, clean up the holes in my training that have popped up recently. I tried doing things by the book, but since he's my first dog I knew I was bound to mess it up somewhere. Lol. Had some mouth issues pop up, but he's improving there.

I was hoping to run him in a seasoned test in a month, but I'm not sure he'll be ready for it. Currently working on handling and pattern blinds and still have all the water work yet to go until we're ready.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Lamarsh likes this.
  9. jafb76

jafb76

Work towards a finished title. Thinking about running at a Great Lakes sportdog association test next weekend just for practice. Once the other dog is back from the pointing lab trainer, I plan to start running him in seasoned tests. Just dropped him off to run some spring APLA tests and I am doing all the hrc stuff myself.

10. N M Mechanical

Who’s doing the pointing work?

11. jabelism

jabelism

Work on her running better lines when running blinds and getting a finished title.

12. jafb76

jafb76

Ryan pasman

Lamarsh likes this.
  13. Bmac

Bmac

I am also working on cleaning up the handling and better lines on blinds. I'm not sure if I will run any HRC tests or not. Need this weather to improve to get time in the water!

14. N M Mechanical

Hunt test season is in full swing the last two weekends going 7/8 in finish and master test

15. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

That's awesome Nick, I'm sure you guys will do great, best of luck! Sounds like you'll be on the road a lot!

Jason how's his point been looking? If I can get my next round of homers that are babies right now to prove themselves at over 50 miles, hopefully I can start bringing them to Wetzel training and you and I can do some pointing work with my remote traps while we wait to run the retriever set ups. All goes well with my 2018 YBs, they should be able to fly that distance no prob, likely by end of June or so, granted I don't lose too many. Even if my pigeons won't be ready to fly from that far away in the near future, if you get your hands on any birds and want to use my remote traps at training just holler and I'll bring them.