close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Training season

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Scottygvsu, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

Last weekend of travel ball, will be in the woods next weekend!

2. Beartreed

Beartreed

Treed a sow last week with a white eartag. Anyone know what that may be about?

3. srconnell22

srconnell22

Either a nuisance bear that was relocated or a former surrogate. If she had a radio collar on as well, I'd say current surrogate.

Easiest way to find out is to get ahold of the DNR office closest to it and ask someone in wildlife. If it's anywhere near the Roscommon field office, I'd suggest Mark Boersen. He is a bear biologist there.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

First weekend back at it with the GF's brother. Didn't put one in a tree, but a fun morning regardless
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1502108136.489465.jpg

Firefighter and Nostromo like this.
  5. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Had a good weekend treed a mean one Saturday morning after catching him multiple times on the ground. Then had a split race on Sunday. Caught one of them couldn't make him climb with two puppies and one older dog. Got some holes and some crazy video. Pack is getting hardened down and coming together nicely. All the young dogs in the group are progressing nicely.

Attached Files:

6. Nostromo

Nostromo

SMITTY, your hounds look very well.

Good luck this season.

SMITTY1233 likes this.
  7. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

Had a great race today. We jumped a good sized bear and he ran the dogs outta gas. Won't be much barking in the kennel tonight.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1503186440.074681.jpg
    Didn't tree him and never put him across the road. I'm too slow on the trigger for "in the woods" action shots.

chuckinduck and Nostromo like this.
  8. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

I didn't want to type it all out on my phone while I was at camp so here goes.

Saturday's run we put down on a pretty good track with Red, Poncho and Sally they have quickly become the A team this year on the starts. We had him jumped right off the start and caught in the first mile. We cut in Stubby, Ringo, Rufus, Daisy and Izzy as they got close to the next road but no crossings. All the dogs made the cut and I was sure we were going to have him up in no time. We have ran this little guy three times in last few weeks and he will not tree. He sprints as hard as he can for about a mile and then just stops and walks. It was a walking bay for 6 hours. Got some holes but no major injuries. When we caught the last two dogs the bear was just standing and watching us. It was tough to get caught up and this little guy is getting on our nerves.

Sunday put down on a good track and with Poncho, Red and Sally. Jumped him a short time later and were 30-40 yards behind at first crossing where we cut Stubby, Ringo, Rufus, Brutus, Daisy. We were really pouring the heat to him when he got by the highway. It was real nervy traffic flying by everywhere and the bear ran down the shoulder of the road before getting across going into several acres of private ground so we pulled the dogs and actually saved a few of their lives on that road. Thankfully we didn't have anyone in to big a hurry and they were courtesy as we got caught up.

Another fun weekend up north!

Nostromo, Scottygvsu and Kennybks like this.
  10. Dann

Dann

Please be respectful of Private property! I ran into a group of people running their dogs ONLY on private property with no permission this weekend. They dropped them off on the property line. The dogs ran over 5 miles on all different private properties.

Nate1970 likes this.
  11. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Did you bother to read the post directly above what you just posted?

jeffm likes this.
  12. Nostromo

Nostromo

Great write up! Before you typed all of this, I was looking at the picture you had posted and wondering if that was your best hound or your dumbest? lol

Sounds like you'll have few bears in the tree this season good luck!

13. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

That's Rufus and my hunter partners dog. He calls him "the legend" or the Big Black dog. He has had an interesting learning curve but he has taken a liking to bears for sure! Was great to see him have a great day. There are 4 more dogs immediately behinf him in this video. This little bear will not climb it's one of the crazier things I've seen in my short time hunting bears.

Nostromo likes this.
  14. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Caught this little guy Sunday. We are rolling pretty good now catching some of the runners. Solo jump for stubby and some impressive hound work all around. He took us on a hike but we ran him down and put him up. Thanks to the Land Owner for the generosity. Super nice to be able to keep good relations in the area. It was a very good tree one of my favorites of all times. Even gained permission for winter hunting outside of deer season. Another very good weekend in northern MI.

Attached Files:

Nostromo, jeffm, bigal06 and 2 others like this.
  15. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

Smitty,
    How do you get these bears to tree in the hardwoods? We always tree in cedars or hemlocks in knee deep water. Makes for miserable dog retrieval.