Trail Maintenance Questions

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by Uber-Schneider, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Uber-Schneider

Uber-Schneider

Okay, so the ice is getting thin on the lakes and the snow is starting to thin down. Time to get the ATV's ready. I have a couple of questions if someone has information to share.

The ATV group I'm in is usually one of the first out in the trails in our area (northern lower). We typically bring a chain saw with us, as even though we do DNR trails, there's usually a blowdown tree or two that needs handling. Anybody else run into this much? Is it an issue from a DNR standpoint for us to clear the trail?

Also, trees do this funny thing called grow. Trails set up for maybe a 60" width seem to get narrower each year, and there's been issues of leftover stumps (even small ones) suddenly taking a rider off the trail and into the forest in a moments notice. Does the DNR do a field check of the trails on a regular basis for the width?

Rich1028 likes this.
  2. Rich1028

Rich1028

no comments yet?
    I move branches out of the way when I come across them on the trails.
    I would hope the the DNR likes it that you remove the downed trees for them!

3. icefalcon

icefalcon

Clubs that maintain trail usually cut back trees in summer. Might be delayed this year. Don't think clearing a blocked trail is a problem.

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Buddwiser likes this.
  4. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

All trail maintenance and grooming has been put on halt until further notice.

5. Uber-Schneider

Uber-Schneider

It will be interesting to see if there's a noticeable impact then ;)

6. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

With so many people off work the trails have been super busy this year so far. From the sounds of it, the ORV Routes are rough. They normally don't start grooming them until May anyways.

7. Rich1028

Rich1028

this is from Leota last weekend.
    West Side of the River.
    Quad Trails 4-18-20 066.jpg Quad Trails 4-18-20 069.jpg

8. SVbowhunter80

SVbowhunter80

Talked to a trail maintenance guy out at Cedar Creek by Twin Lake a year or two ago. Also asked a Forest Service guy working on the trail a different time. Both said It's not a problem if you remove a tree or large limbs from the trail that's blocking the trail. Just don't be cutting standing tree's.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Rich1028 likes this.
  9. Uber-Schneider

Uber-Schneider

It's funny as heck if someone brings along an axe (or better yet a hatchet?) instead of a chainsaw or even camp saw. You get a stout 10" or larger log across the trail and it becomes a team challenge as to who can make it though their trail side of the log faster. Just bring large bandages in case someone uses a computer too much to make a living. ;)

10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

A Samurai Ichaban or Silky Zubat is part of what I bring with me for early season rides plus a couple of straps for the winch is enough to get me by 99% of the obstructions.

Rich1028 likes this.
  11. Uber-Schneider

Uber-Schneider

Sorry, not familiar with those so I looked them up (to help out other folks of course!):

upload_2020-5-12_23-19-22.png
    Samurai Ichaban

upload_2020-5-12_23-21-46.png
    Silky Zubat

All I could picture was Charlie Sheen and his oversize Rambo KA-BAR chainsaw from Hot-Shots Part Deux...

upload_2020-5-12_23-24-50.png

Or, if I had a large circular saw blade that had the same bolt pattern as my back wheel... o_O;)