close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tough shucking tonight.

Discussion in 'Crayfish Trapping' started by Jim_MI, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

So I got enough for a meal in last night's set, probably 30-40, all rusties. For a small boil like that, I don't bother with the 20 gal pot and propane burner setup - I just use a 4 gal pot on the stovetop. Not surprisingly then, it took quite awhile (10 min?) for the water to return to a roiling boil after adding the bugs. And I noticed that some of the bugs did not immediately die when dropped into the pot of boiling water. They were all kind of mottled red looking instead of uniformly bright red after the usual 5 min of boiling. So, it seems that they cooked slower than usual due to the smaller pot.
    Question: These bugs were incredibly hard to shuck tonight. I don't think I got an intact piece of tail meat out of a single one! Is this due to "slow cooking". How do you all cook a small batch like that?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. AllenMorgan

AllenMorgan

Did you put any vinegar in the boil? That helps keep the meat from sticking to the shell, and somehow makes the meat just a tad sweeter. You don't need much.

Also, even if you're doing the boil on the stove, use the biggest pot you can and FILL it! That much hot liquid won't cool down as much, and will come back to a boil faster.

3. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I have never added vinegar out of concern for what that would do to the taste. I know that adding vinegar will de-calcify the shells somewhat and theoretically make shucking easier. I have a bottle of Zatarains Crab and Crawfish Boil, and the label says to add vinegar to CRABS to make shucking easier. I will try a little on crawfish next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk