Topography Maps

Discussion in 'GPS, GeoCaching, Outdoor Communications, Electroni' started by fishonjr, Oct 13, 2020.

1. fishonjr

fishonjr

Do they only shown 50’ changes in elevation? The reason I ask is, where I live in Midland county, it seems none of the topography maps I have come across are accurate, or they don’t show reality. I took a hike the other day and it showed on my elevation tracker app that I varied in terrain, anywhere from 645’ to 686’, yet none of these changes show on maps? I see all sorts of small ridges/valleys, but they aren’t mapped. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

2. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Did you try another map scale?

3. MISurveyor

MISurveyor

Midland County's GIS website has a terrain layer you can turn on. It will show 1' contour intervals. It's slow on a phone but a PC or laptop will work fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. huntfishrelax

huntfishrelax

Ok I just read about using a paper topo. map and compass to navigate in woods and water.magazine and it has my interest.
    But it did not say where to get there maps.
    How do I get these?

5. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I see plenty of contours on onx maps and it's not that hill around here.

You might be able to get a paper topo online. If you are shooting azimuths you will need a protractor, a declination adjustment for your area, a marker, and preferably a compass with a sighting system. But you are much better off with a cell phone and just a basic compass and direction to nearest road as a backup.

6. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I think I got my paper topo maps years ago from our Soil Conservation office. Do nt hold me to that a I am getting old and forget full.

7. huntfishrelax

huntfishrelax