too many turkeys

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by melvvin, Feb 29, 2008.

1. melvvin

melvvin

I was wondering if you saw my reply on are you pumped. I have a question hopefully someone can answer. This place i was talking about is probably about 100 acres of woods with fields surronding it no chunk of woods within at least a mile. There is at least 100 to 150 turkeys here they roost here and im told stay here year round. What im wondering is how much hunting pressure could they take before you would drive them away. Any ideas on how to handle this never hunted any thing like this.

2. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

well first off find out where they roost. then after finding the roost go out and watch them as they come out of their roost, ( BINO'S )because as spring comes they'll bust up into smaller groups. don't get in so close that they bust you, stay a long enough distance that you can observe them. THOSE BIRDS ARE IN THEIR WINTER FLOCK.
    after watching the birds come down wait a 1/2 hour or so and then try to find out where they're going to feed. if you can do some spot and stalk with binos. those birds will only take so much pressure before they bust out of an area.
    now go out to the roost area before they roost and set yourself up so you can watch them fly up to the roost. i don't know if you have ever heard them go up to the roost or watched them do it but man is that a site to see and hear. sometimes you can watch them fight for a limb in the tree.
    now as far as hunting them, go to where they will feed after they're down and pop a couple away from the roost in the morning and then get a couple of them when they are on their way back to the roost but not to close to the roost. now let me explain the take a couple bit----ONLY WITH LICENSED HUNTERS!

3. HunterHawk

HunterHawk

i dont know if im adding to much from what he said but yes, dont shoot them too close to the roost because that will obviously affect them coming back in i usually set up between where the feed and where the roost... closer to the feeding spot obviously... that way like he said you can take a bird out of the 1st group and get out.... another key factor about taking multiple birds (multiple hunters obviously) is to use a bow... its so quiet most of the time the rest wont go to far away or be too spooked... we took 3 from almost the same exact spot last year... 1 was with a gun and 2 were with bows... so thats a factor....

and i dont think that is too many turkeys for that area.. we have an area we hunt with a lot of turkeys and it only has like 50-60 acres of woods in the imediate area but those birds travel quiet aways in the spring... they are just grouped now for the winter like deer... dont worry come spring you will be like where the heck did all the birds go......

good luck hope one of us helped ya

4. One last point to add, avoid hunting late in the day. I've never been a big fan of hunting late in the day after 4:00 to 5:00PM. Even more so on limited private acreage that you want hunt repeatedly. Back in the early days, it used to be illegal to discourage people from parking under a roost tree and bushwhacking them when they come to roost. Any birds on the property that late are probably filling their crops and preparing to roost. If you hunt them then and push them out, they are going to move off your property and roost elsewhere.

5. melvvin

melvvin

Thanks for the info I know right where they roost and right where they feed its a reasonable distance apart. The owner claims that many stay there year round i thought winter flock too but he disagrees. What Im thinking is 1 hunter per week one guy wants his daughter to go the first week then the owner, my son, then a friend, im going to hunt state land in montcalm co always do good there. Thanks for the help dont want to kill em all just want to call 4 longbeards in for other people. All this depends on permits of course.Does this sound reasonable any comments are helpful. I know its called hunting so nothing for sure but sure seems like it will be fun.