close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too early for small mouth?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Brett Barr, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Rscook

Rscook

From the 2nd week of May until October its impossible NOT to catch smallmouth on the tibb. The baits I use are zoom trick worms, Berkley chigger craws both in green pumpkin rigged with 1/8oz cone sinker Texas rig the craw or worm. If in a boat fish the banks and look for submerged brush and logs, also along rocks will do well. You can catch them from shore but not like you will from a boat. Senkos and tubes are deadly as well. You can easily blow through a pack of plastics in a day fishing smallies on the tibb. Come June one will hit your bait and 2 others will chase after the fish and try to steal it. If you don't have a boat I'd suggest getting to know a stretch of the river and pick up some waders so you are able to cast toward shore. Poppers are also a go to once the water is warm. I never really did well on cranks with the smallies I narrowed it down to the plastics mentioned as the go to because they never fail

Brett Barr and Greenyfish like this.
  2. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

I would just make sure you fish holes with slack water the smallmouth really don't like the current as much this time of the year. Been getting all my smallmouth since early March to now on just two baits either a jig with a twister tail on a 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz jighead whichever keeps the baits close to the bottom without snagging too much. With the twister tail I don't jig it or swim it fast just a straight retrieve or hopping it along the bottom seems to work the best. Otherwise, I'll use a flipping jig with a plastic craw type trailer and just very slowly crawl it on the bottom. A really important thing to for these smallmouths is when the water is cold like this a lot of times they will bite very light and won't really pull back you'll just feel some weight and they'll just hold onto the bait without swimming off so if you have any weight its a good idea to set it. They have the lightest bite of any fish I've ever caught but that while the water is cold but then again sometimes they will hammer it but more often it will be a very light bite they won't swim of with the bait it will just be some weight on the end of your line. Good luck if you keep trying there's definitely some great smallmouth to be caught this time of the year.

3. jimbo

jimbo

Hey Brett, if you really like smallmouth fishing, you NEED to go backpacking/camping at lake manitou, on north manitou island. 3 days minimum.
    There's only a couple of good places to fish from shore, so I recommend bringing a float tube & fins. It's a freaking ball. You're only allowed to keep one 18"er a day, but if you can get out there, that's not a problem.
    You'll think me later

Brett Barr likes this.
  4. swampbuck

swampbuck

Come up to Higgins lake and give it a try.

Brett Barr likes this.
  5. Brett Barr

Brett Barr

Sounds like a blast I’ll have to give it a shot!

jimbo likes this.
  6. gundogguy

gundogguy

It's not to early but I think I'll wait till eyes on my rods quit icing up. 45 degree weather would be nice!

Brett Barr likes this.
  7. Brett Barr

Brett Barr

Hopefully today is The last day of this crap weather. I plan on vert. Jiggin for eyes or bass fishing Saturday!