close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too early for small mouth?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Brett Barr, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Brett Barr

Brett Barr

I love the fight but they could just lie there like a log being drug in and I’d still have a blast! Lol

2. Brett Barr

Brett Barr

That’s awesome do you know how much it weighed? Looks like a tank! I have a picture of a 4lber I caught wading a creek last year on a hollow body frog. I would post the picture but this website doesn’t take my iPhone pictures for some reason.

3. Brett Barr

Brett Barr

Thanks for the info I truly appreciate it!

addictivefishing12345 likes this.
  4. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

No I do not know how much it weighed. The pic didn’t really do it justice. That is a black and silver j-7 jointed rapal on the net that it ate. My favorite rapala for the shiawassee

5. river rat78

river rat78

Last year I hooked into one and thought it was a snag. Then it started to pull back and I could feel its power. It was about a 16". One of the bigger ones in the area.

Brett Barr likes this.
  6. Hal Standish

Hal Standish

Yup what he said!!

Brett Barr likes this.
  7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

About 10 years ago I caught an honest 5 1/4 # (Boga grip) smallie in the Muskegon while stripping streamers for steelhead, Water was still cold for streamers for steelhead. LOL Fish fought very well. My biggest inland river smallie in mI.

8. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Have you tried for the smallmouth? Been catching them on the Shiawassee since like March 6th yesterday got 18.75-inch smallmouth bass my second biggest. Been getting all quality fish between 16 and 18 inches. It's not easy though covering a lot of water for usually only one smallmouth but this is the best time of the year to get a trophy smallmouth.

9. Cod

Cod

if all the lakes and ponds could have smallmouths, i'd be happy with that.

10. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Are you floating/floating to each spot or wadding?

11. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

I'm just walking fishing shore spots for now. I would float the river with my kayak like I do later on in the year but I for that I have some family members who will drop my car off at where I would float too but their snowbirds and go down south for the winter so can't do that for maybe another month. I don't have any waders either so I won't be wading the river for a few more weeks since if I do I'll be wading in swim trunks lol.

12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Now that I live in chesaning, Usually I float from parshallburg to showboat park in chesaning. I drop the truck off and wife brings me back to the canoe. When I lived in Owosso I waded/shore fished a lot in town. Did Corunna to Owosso ( really good stretch and does not take long to go. I didn’t float last year because, I have my 14 ft tin boat now. I’d like to get at least one float in on the shiawassee this year.

Brett Barr likes this.
  13. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Yeah, I've been kayaking and wading that area of the Shiawassee for years. It's definitely got some great fishing. My favorite stretch is Chesaning to Gary road but the whole river has great smallmouth bass fishing along with a lot of other fish.

14. scooter65

scooter65

Too cold to fish,NEVER!

Look for creek inlets, rock piles that present above the water line, concrete bridge supports, small creek inlets. Anyplace where warmer water can be introduced.

Hard not to get hooked on smallies once you've caught one. I spent years chasing large mouth but they don't stack up to the fight a smallie will give.

Happy hunting

Greenyfish and Brett Barr like this.
  15. Brett Barr

Brett Barr

Yeah I have been tryin the titabawasee river and black river for smallies I’m yet to pull one in yet. I did hook up with one but it jumped and shook the hook. Just enough action to get the adrenaline pumping and keep me coming back for more.