close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Todd Farm 2017 offical

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by West side shooter, Nov 10, 2017.

1. notime

notime

no sir. thats funny because we were in 2M and there was a guy walking all over 2L looking at our decoys in M. never seen him after it got daylight. wondered where he went.

2. sovaa4307

sovaa4307

When you let your buddy pick the zone and drive that's what happens... guilty as charged ✋️

3. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

Lol. That’s funny that you are on here too. It is a funky part of the farm. No other zones wrap a corner except for 2. I bet you won’t do that ever again though. Also, good move blaming your buddy. Whenever the buddy isn’t around, it’s always the buddies fault. Haha

4. TNL

TNL

Ha! Veteran move there. Nicely done.

5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

You ever think the guys in 3a or 7 from Sunday read this thread and realize that the veterans all think they're tools? I'm not sure if those kinds if neighbors are just idiots, don't care, or are idiots that don't care. I know there's been an endless supply since I shot my first goose there 30 odd years ago.

I heard on Friday the guys in 8n had most of the birds headed to them but pounded in stakes and put up a 6' tall burlap blind that flared everything.

notime likes this.
  6. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

I’m guessing they’re idiots that don’t care. If they have such little respect for the animal, the people around them, and just being morally decent overall, I doubt they put in the time to read any of this. If they do, they’re just saying “F you” to all of us anyway.

7. Highball28

Highball28

My hypothesis is that most people just genuinely don't know. Birds always look a lot closer than they actually are especially when they're coming down the corn or from side to side. (We always think birds coming down the corn are headed right for us only to get dropped as they fly over the neighboring zone.)

If you think about it nobody would intentionally ruin their own hunt if they knew they wouldn't be able to kill birds at those heights.

notime likes this.
  8. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

That’s kind of the problem at the farm. Birds coming down the corn. They might be headed directly for your spread, but the neighbors aren’t going to let them get that far if they’re under 75 yards up, sometimes more. I make it a point to talk to my neighbors as much as possible before shooting hours to make it clear that I will let birds work down to them if it looks like that’s where they are headed. I don’t outright ask that they do the same for me, but I hope that’s how hey take it. Sometimes yelling “let the birds work” gets the point across after a couple sky busting sessions, but sometimes they just don’t give a shhhht what we think.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  9. notime

notime

Skybusting always has and will be an issue. When you hunt at the Todd Farm its just something that you have to deal with. The birds always look closer than they really are and some just want to shoot their guns, weather they get the bird or not. I know that i have shamed some of the guys i hunt with enough that they say don't shoot or dad is gonna give it to us...i think its just a lack of experience for the most part but there are those that just don't care and shoot at everything that flies by. The ones that really get me is when the next zone shoots at birds 50 yards into your zone and you wonder why because you wouldn't even take a shot. Think I've been at the farm maybe 8 time this year and Sunday was the first day i picked up the gun. i would rather be 100% the bird is killable rather than take a maybe shot. Saves on shells too.

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I had some guys next to me in five this year that I had to come over and shake their hands as we all walked out. They asked why and I said that such efficiency in killing geese at Fennville is rarely seen.

On the other hand, I'll be the first guy to yell "try again" or "maybe next time" when the guys next to you throw their 3/6/ ... 18 rounds up at an 80 yards flock and only put a few BB's in the guts of the birds to limp back into the refuge and feed the eagles. Problem is those guys golden BB just enough to think they're onto something.

I love it when they go insane when you pass a bird that cut your spread and didn't give a good shot.

I shot at 9 geese at Fennville this year. 7 of them came home with me, and only one needed follow up work. None made it beyond the decoys.

West side shooter likes this.
  11. notime

notime

weather looks good for this weekend. anybody else going out?

12. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

B
    I’ll be there Sunday.

13. West side shooter

West side shooter

Saturday for us, providing I can shake this flu. Missed our tues afternoon hunt because I was laid up, nothing like using a sick day being sick rather than at the farm!

14. jvanluyn

jvanluyn

I haven’t had the flu, but I’ve had a cold for 2 weeks. I managed to get out and hunt though. Maybe that’s why I’ve had it for 2 weeks though.

15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Retiring on for the year on a high note after the last hunt. Missed the first bird I shot at this year, so I'm going to end on dropping the last two geese I shot at. Besides my wife is moving so much firewood lately that I need to spend some time behind the chainsaw.