close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Todd Farm 2017 offical

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by West side shooter, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

Seems like you always get those guys that take Zones in hope of pass shooting... At least it seems like if you're drawn say 15th around 4-5 parties ahead of you may just take some random pass shooting spot. Makes me giggle a bit.

2. Fowl Play

Fowl Play

I remember the days they drew both the farm and highbanks at the farm together. You could be picked in the 30s and still get a very good zone/section.

West side shooter likes this.

3. West side shooter

West side shooter

heading out again saturday, hoping the cool down will stir some birds up for the weekend.

4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I remember the days they drew both the farm and highbanks at the farm together. You could be picked in the 30s and still get a very good zone/section.

I remember those days, boats at the launch and the highbanks pool posts on the wall around the corner from the main board. The trailer where you could buy hot chocolate, donuts, and a box of T steel for Bravo when they decided that limiting Bravo to T and F steel was a good idea.
    There were also 250 parties sometimes back then. That I don't miss.

Horseshoe and West side shooter like this.
  5. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

I remember going with my Dad before I could hunt & there being over 400 parties at the Farm one Saturday. We were number 10 or something in the redraw & still managed to get on a hunt & get our 1 goose. Seems like the 4-5 times I went when I was young it always was over 200 parties no matter what until quota was met. Then the whole Brava Unit deal started, and what a mess that was. lol

6. Highball28

Highball28

So I’ve been curious about some of the guys that use A frame blinds in Fennville in marginal corn. I know it’s been a trend that’s been catching fire. Does anybody Here use em or even better have a pic of what your blind setup looks like?

7. notime

notime

we use corn stalk camo burlap on fence posts. seems to work fairly well as long as you have some stalks to place in front of it. helps keep the wind down as well.

Attached Files:

Highball28 likes this.
  8. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

We use Panel Blinds quite often in the corn. They seem to work well & especially if we put the snow covers on them. I'll see if I can find a pic of them at the Farm.

Highball28 likes this.
  9. Highball28

Highball28

We have some burlap in the trailer. May have to deploy it with no snow and marginal at best corn this weekend. Last weekend we dug pits in deep snow and just laid in them with whites on and magnum shells on top of us.

10. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

It's kinda nice at the TF when there is a bunch of snow just for the hide part. Can basically almost build a igloo to hide in...lol
    For those that may be interested I know Wing Supply has 3D white 12x5 snow camo netting on sale for $12.50... We picked up a few & the stuff works great & is actually a white color that matches the snow.

11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Who would have known all that snow fort digging as kids would come in handy?

We use a white tarp with rattle can corn stalks painted on it as a wind break behind us in the snow if conditions allow, and then run a Focus 5 heater at one end to warm up as needed. Works well.

Anything white - don't wash it in detergent if is gets dirty as the UV brighteners will give it that purple glow. I use dishwashing detergent on my while parka as needed.

Fastgrass works well in corn too.

Most camo is too dark for cornfields.

Another trick we use is to leave nothing in the rows between the corn. The bags go in between stalks and get corn leaves on them, and we lean back and sit in between the stalks as well. I can't recall having a bird flare hard coming at us, but I've had them get over the corn and swing their heads and look down the rows and blow out. We had a duck hunt where the wind was stupid strong blowing the ducks out and we were well buried in layouts at the front row of the bad corn, and the ducks would blow out, get past the corn, turn into the wind and just hang there looking up and down the rows. We shot 13, 14 birds that day compared to our neighbors getting a couple, as the ducks would see them in the corn and slide over to us.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Mallat Bawb likes this.
  12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Here's another hack:

put one of these about 4' up a solid corn stalk in front of you and lean your gun into the "V" of the clamp handles. You can find these in any zone I've hunted as I seem to leave them after every hunt, so I buy them in bulk.

upload_2018-1-11_10-19-48.jpeg

Highball28 and daddyduck like this.
  13. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

Those clamps are legit for really anything hunting! We use them in our panel blinds to lean guns into as well.

14. TNL

TNL

I have to ask, is there room enough in the corn for A frames without destroying any standing stalks? It would seem counterproductive to stand on or remove the vegetation you're trying to hide in. Also seems that it kind of limits where anyone can set up in future hunts.

15. Mallat Bawb

Mallat Bawb

A-Frames may be kinda hard... I know with the Tanglefree panel blinds we can setup around the standing corn just fine without doing any damage to it.

TNL likes this.