Titles for ATVs

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATVs' started by fishinfever, Feb 21, 2018.

1. fishinfever

fishinfever

I am looking to buy an ATV for ice fishing. I found out I need a permit to ride on the ice.

My questions are regarding the title that is required.

Is it difficult to get a title? There seem to be a lot of people you want to sell them without a title.

Is there a grace period so that I could buy one without and then apply for a title?

What if I buy one a state that doesn't require a title?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and you can't insult me I know next to nothing about this.

Thanks, FF

2. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I have the same question, so I'm hoping someone that knows will chime in. I have one quad that actually had a title, but I wasn't able to transfer it due to some technicality at the SOS and I have another one purchased out of state without a title at all. I also own a Mule that has not title. I'll probably go to jail if I get busted!

3. Waif

Waif

A certificate of origin is required for a title. Presumed to be a title. A sellers afidavit I did not find mentioned as being acceptable ,but know who you buy from ,should the unit be stolen.....Have their name ( confirmed by proper i.d.) and a signed reciept/ bill of sale to cover your backside.
    Few vehicles I own came witha title. Age of them is a factor. One has no serial number except on engine ,which could be swapped out.
    There may be a cut out date on age of vehicle and type.....But still ,to title one could still be done ,probably.
    There are ways to get them titled without the certificate of origin....S.o.s. has details. Hoops to jump through ,but they exist.
    An inspection and serial number confirmation thing If remembered correctly.

An o.r.v. sticker can be bought outright. Without documentation of vehicle.
    Right or wrong ,if you slap one on the proper location of your vehicle ,your permit is covered (?). Not saying to do so. Only that it can be done.

fishinfever likes this.
  4. brigeton

brigeton

An ATV permit is all that is needed to drive on the ice. They are available anywhere that sells hunting and fishing licenses, no title required. I bought my ATV new and never had a title.

5. dead short

dead short Mods

Title is required by state law.

Jimbo 09 and fishinfever like this.
  6. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Since 1991, every new ORV sold in Michigan has a title. A CO can run the vin # to see if you have a title for your ORV and you can be issued a fine if you don't. I personally think they need to start doing this more. I know too many guys that have had their dirt bikes and quads stolen. The ORV permit has nothing to do with ownership.

John Dumbra, Jimbo 09 and fishinfever like this.
  7. brigeton

brigeton

I bought mine new in 2006 from a Honda dealer and have never had a title that I can remember. If I cared enough I would look in my papers to see if I have one that I forgot about.

8. brigeton

brigeton

Well you made me curious enough that I looked up my paperwork and I do have a title. No proof of ownership required to get a ORV sticker though.

fishinfever and Luv2hunteup like this.
  9. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I would never buy an ORV without a title, because whoever holds the title could claim it at any time. Proving ownership at that time could be a real pain.

All I can say is good luck trying to get a title for an ORV with just a bill of sale. The SOS will run the vin to see if it's stolen and then make you buy a surety bond in case the current title holder tries to claim it. I went through this when I bought a 2003 Suzuki quad from a guy (not the original owner) in Indiana several years ago. It came with the original certificate of origin (Indiana didn't start issuing titles until 2004) and a bill of sale, which I thought would work to get a Michigan title. I knew it had never been stolen, because it came with the original paperwork. I could not get it through our SOS office that the ORV never had a title. I had to track down the guy who's name was on the certificate of origin to have him write a letter stating that he did not own it anymore and I had to get a letter from the bank stating the lien had been paid off. I did all that and then the SOS told me I need to get a surety bond (because it was worth more than $1,000), which I refused to do after I found out the cost. I was like WTF! I gave up on trying to get a title for a few months and finally went back and refused to leave until I talked to a manager. They finally issued me a title, but told me the title could be pulled within 3 years if someone else could prove ownership or claim it as stolen. The bottom line is you should NEVER buy an ORV that did not come with an original title transferring ownership.

storman and fishinfever like this.
  10. fishinfever

fishinfever

Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate the help. I new that the SOS website said it is illegal to sell one without a title and illegal to buy one without the title but thought there might be an easy way to get one especially if it were purchased from a state that doesn't require a title.

Last question. Is it easy for the owner to get a replacement title? I talked to a seller on eBay that said it is easy to get a title and thought it should be simple for a legal owner to get one before trying to sell.

Thanks again you saved me a real problem. I plan fish in Canada can you imagine crossing the border without a title.

Good luck, FF

11. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Strange. I should have a title for my used $3,000 quad, but there is no title to my $20,000 tractor. Seems inconsistent.

Waif likes this.
  12. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

It's easy in Michigan, but it costs around $20.

fishinfever likes this.
  13. fishinfever

fishinfever

Thanks Mossy. I thought it would be and yet there ads on Craigslist that state No Title in the description.

Good luck, FF

14. Luckymike

Luckymike

real pain to try and get a title to an untitled orv.not worth the hassle so I would never buy one without a title unless I planned to use it on private land only.if they can't provide a title I would not buy it.been there done that

fishinfever likes this.
  15. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

It's been a while, but I asked that question at SOS re ATV's that were built and sold before titles were required and they said a title was not required in that situation.

Which way is it?