close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tips for repelling deer flies

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by man vs. fish, Jul 13, 2011.

1. catfishhunter39

catfishhunter39

Right on with vic rubb---

2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

This Tanglefoot on a blue cup or ball cap works well. After putting Tanglefoot on the ball cap, it isn't one that you will wear in public afterwards.

L & O

3. catfishhunter39

catfishhunter39

Haveing been raised on a farm near Bay Port, mi we did not have all these new things of the da. Guess I will stay with good HOME Rem of Vicks Rubb, Works well for me.

4. adrien65

adrien65

Mostly I use citronella, but I don't really think it helpful. I liked the lemon smell. If you've got enough deer flies, I question that anything will really do. Still, in comparison to toxins ivy it's only a minimal irritation.

5. catfishhunter39

catfishhunter39

Still like the vic's rubb the best, rub a small amount on the bill of your hat and there won't be a fly within a mile of you - works for me. :bowdown::bowdown:

6. Copper116

Copper116

I've heard that putting Tanglefoot (a tree paste that is very sticky) on a blue object like a ball and hang it near where the flies seem to lurk. I read they are attracted to the color blue and will fly to the blue ball and land on the ball. They will get stuck in the Tanglefoot paste and die. They live in colonies so to speak and if successful, they will over time all get caught in the sticky paste. I've never tried it even tho I just bought two tubs of Tanglefoot from Family Farm and Home Store. The flys aren't around much this year...figures; I get the stuff to catch them and they bug out.....

7. rgillespi

rgillespi

best advice i got works well for most all those pesky little bass-turds --
    use the same soap you use at deer season.... NON-scented!! they're attracted to the sweet flowery scent.

8. Copper116

Copper116

I bought one of those tennis racket shaped bug zappers... Everytime I go to the road for mail etc, they'd attack. Boy, just a few swipes above my head, it sounded like popcorn popping... The trip back... not a one was left. I heard they are territorial so if you get them all, that'll be it in that area for a while anyway. I heard "Tanglefoot" when applied to a BLUE color object (such as a ball or balloon) and hung in the area of a swarm... the blue colored object will attract them and they'll get stuck in the sticky substance. (they're attracted to blue) I haven't tried it yet but I did buy it recently for my trees. It's to keep climbing bugs from reaching the upper tree.

9. Kennybks

Kennybks

Yeah that ^^^^^

A blue solo cup with tanglefoot spread generously and evenly will be covered quickly.

10. Albaman

Albaman

+1 for the Vicks rub, someone told me about it a couple of years back when I mentioned that the little blood sucking monsters swarm the dogs when they are out. I put a little bit on their necks and a little on the bare skin of their belly, works a treat.

11. Copper116

Copper116

I tried it today... seemed to keep them at bay. I was impressed.

12. Kennybks

Kennybks

Got tired of being swarmed everytime we step outside. Taped a red solo cup with tanglefoot coating to my side mirror of the pkup and made a couple of rounds up and down the driveway tonight.

I guess it doesn't need to be blue to work!

Attached Files: