tip up for rats

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by fishmagnetmike, Dec 30, 2012.

1. fishmagnetmike

fishmagnetmike gone fishin

could somebody show me how to make a tip up. got a pic? thanks for your time

2. Mister ED

Mister ED

Its right in the archives. This is from a few years back ... but you get the idea of both a board set and tip ups.
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203662

A lot of the guys are now using a body grip clip to hold the trap. I think even BH2 is probably switching his over.

danboe likes this.

3. Beaverhunter2

Beaverhunter2

Here you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the results (from today)-

[​IMG]

Switching, Ed? Long since done! LOL

As you can see in the last picture, the bait goes on the wire that pokes between the trigger wires.

Good Luck and be careful out there! The ice is still really shaky!

John

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    danboe likes this.
  4. Fur-minator

Fur-minator

I like that idea John. Rat falls with trap and second rat gets a free meal so he will return for seconds.

5. Mister ED

Mister ED

:lol:

Also, with those high dollar rats .... it is good to see you are using PREMIUM whitewood.:lol:

6. Beaverhunter2

Beaverhunter2

LOL. Ed, actually I'm being cheap (as usual). I can buy 2x4s and rip them into 5 strips. This makes each 8 footer cost $.55 instead of $.98 for a 1x2! But you have buy the good 2x4s because knots make your strips weak.

John

7. 2 Kids And I Trap

2 Kids And I Trap

You could go with furing strips at $.75 each. I cut mine 12" cross X14" vertical. With a 8" furing stripp you can get. 7 out of a 14 cut with an extra just shy 12" piece. And the 12's you can get 8 out of 8'. Furing strips can be bought by singal or bundle. I buy bundles $25-$28 for the bundle and it saves time. 1 1/2" x 5/8" X 8' Just big enough.

Jon

8. Jaspo

Jaspo

Made five of these this weekend, will find out in a couple hours how they worked.

Patience, Determination and Courage are the only things needed to Succeed

Attached Files:

9. Beaverhunter2

Beaverhunter2

Interesting rig, Jaspo! Very cool! Let us know how it works!

Jon,
    I spud the hole about 10" x 6" so I'd be concerned about the rig dropping through the hole if the cross was only 12". I've caught rats in ten minutes so don't count on the freeze-in to save your gear! You ought to see the rat make that thing jump! Are you still using mostly 110s?

John

10. 2 Kids And I Trap

2 Kids And I Trap

John yes I am still using 110's. But they way i place my tip-ups is I cut my hole with an axe. Long way against the flow of the run (if that makes sence). I will post a picture here in a minute.

Jon

[​IMG]

Sorry about the picture being sideways it would not let me fix it.

11. Aric1

Aric1

This design is the way to go.Built four last night set them in the morning. I used #160s on them and the afternoon check had me out skinning a rat tonight. So I built a few more with #110s and #160s baited with carrots, see what tomorrow will bring. Thanks for the ideas.

12. Seaarkshooter

Seaarkshooter

Final testing for the tinker toy rat tip up to start in mass tomorrow. Gonna hit golf course pond huts. Will let you know how it turns out by this weekend.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

13. Mister ED

Mister ED

Just thinking ... why not two clips on each tip-up?? Then hang a 160 (or 110) off each side?

You might get some fouled by a caught rat ... but ... you may well end up with coubles on an extended check.:idea:

14. bigdaddyfischer

bigdaddyfischer

what are you using for the clips? was thinking about putting some together this week.

15. Aric1

Aric1

There called Killer clips F&t sells them. I made my own out of sheet metal 14 ga. Cut a square drill hole in middle for a screw. Make two cuts on each side so you can bend up a tab. It takes a little time on the first one but once you got it the rest are pretty simple.