close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tip top guide replacement

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mbirdsley, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:20 AM.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I have a Berkley 7 ft tactix medium heavy rod that I have grooves being warn into the very tip top piece on the rod. Some look kinda of serious and eventually will cut my line (. The pictures shows the grooves kinda.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1500185967.019436.jpg

I am assuming the guides are aluminum? I use this rod a lot and is one of my favorites. How much would it cost approx to have it replaced by some one? I paid thirty dollars for the rod 5 years ago. Could the rod be fixed for about that or get a new rod all together? Would having it replaced change any of the action or way it fishes?

2. MickL

MickL Premium Member

I also have a rod that needs tip replacement. I'll do what i've done a few times before with good success: Use a small cut-off disk in my hand grinder to cut the old tip off. Take the rod to a tackle store that has a good selection of tips. Buy a tip that looks similar to the old one and slips over the end of the rod with minimum clearance. Clean the rod tip and the inside of the new tip (with lacquer thinner, alcohol, or .....). Put a little adhesive (super glue, epoxy,....) on the end of the rod, align the tip and push it on.

mbirdsley likes this.

3. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Sportsmen's Direct has a great selection of rod tips. Shoot @raisinrat a PM or give the guys a shout at the shop and they will be able to set you up with the right size rod tip. The only way I know to fix it is exactly what Mick suggested.

mbirdsley and MickL like this.
  4. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

You should be able to heat the old tip up and gently twist it off. Take it or the rod to a tackle shop and buy a replacement. If it is a good shop they should have an open piece of ferrule cement to glue the new top on.

fishinfever, mbirdsley and Waif like this.
  5. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Used to be able to heat the glue and slide the tip off.( Easy does it on the heat...). Similar glue to what was used on archery gear If remembered right.
    I have stopped at a sport shop and had one replaced too before.

Zofchak, mbirdsley and multibeard like this.
  6. wyandot

wyandot

Jann's Netcraft is a sponsor and they stock the Berkley stainless guides and tip-tops and the tip-top adhesive. As noted, Don't get things too hot, graphite will melt. More often then not, a hair dryer will provide enough heat to remove a tip-top, and a quick swipe with a bic lighter is enough heat to melt the new adhesive. If you have a hot glue gun, quite a few builders use them to install their tip-tops with good results.

mbirdsley and MickL like this.
  7. 50incher

50incher

It should be easy to replace like said, easy heat and off....heat some glue and smear on tip of rod then heat both the new tip and the glue ever so lightly and twist on....

St. Croix sent me some glue in a little disc that's little balls, when I had a tip crack....and you just pour some in the tip and heat it....the amount of glue seems to come out right and it works great....don't know if that stuff is available but it's 100 times better than a "stick" that you have to melt....

Either way, easy fix....cheers....

mbirdsley likes this.
  8. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

So the General consensus is the hair dryer should get the glue hot enough for the tip top to come off? I'll start checking out some YouTube videos. EDIT: after watching some you tube videos this seems pretty straight forward. Is there any advantages of using real rod glue over hot glue sticks? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 12:35 AM
    wyandot likes this.
  9. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I was straightening out the shelves in the garage yesterday. I opened my box of rod wrapping supplies. Low and behold there were two pieces of ferrel cement in there. Enough for two more life times.
    I would buy the real stuff and just keep it in your tackle box. It will last you the rest of your life.

mbirdsley likes this.
  10. wyandot

wyandot

Pretty much the same thing.

mbirdsley likes this.
  11. bad dog

bad dog

What type of line are using? Those are serious grooves. The tip will slide off with heat. A Bic lighter is all you need. A heat gun or boiling water also works. Be careful not to damage the blank. You can transfer hot melt to the rod if you heat up hot melt with a flame then roll the rod tip in the gooey hot melt. Heat up the tip or glue and it should slide over the rod. Make sure you use the correct size tip. It doesn't take much hot melt. A Twili Tip, roller, or carbide should stand up to stainless line.

mbirdsley likes this.
  12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I use 8lbs Berkley smooth casting XL ( the red one)

13. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Won't let me edit last post. But, the reason for the grooves I think is because I have done a lot of river fishing for small mouth. The shiawassee in particular between Corunna and chesaning. Lots of snags

14. bapotter

bapotter

One way to remove the top and guarantee you do not over heat the blank tip is to tie a piece of line to the base of the tip (where the ring meets the tube) and pull straight away (in-line with the rod) as you heat the tube (a lighter works). This will ensure that you only heat the existing glue just enough for removal. The tip will pop right off. Then scrape away the old excess glue with your fingernail.

Add the new top by 1) cutting a small sliver of tip top adhesive, 2) roll it and place in the tip top tube, 3) hold the tip with pliers and heat with lighter to melt the glue, and 4) place on rod tip and align.

MickL likes this.