close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Time to get smart

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Tmckinnis, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Tmckinnis

Tmckinnis

time to get smart people if you are going to go on the ice get clothing that floats there is all kinds on the market from artic armor to mustangs suits ,float coats, you guys that where car Hart’s on the ice if you go through the ice your weight just tripled ,getting back out just got harder

2. jimbo

jimbo

3. d_rek

d_rek

I feel a lecture about safe ice coming on...

crittrgittr, RichP, dachief and 3 others like this.
  4. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

This is the first year I have had a float suit and my confidence level is definitely higher. Bought the frabill I float bibs and jacket combo for $180 at wingsupply.com I needed a new suit so I figured why not get one with floatation. My fishing buddy asked my why I needed that since S!#@ floats?!

rugbym10sflyu and Stand By like this.
  5. fishwiz

fishwiz

Been ice fishing for 50+ years and yes I wear carharts, never had a problem.
    You just need to be smart, ice spud, ice creepers, watch the conditions.

6. Tmckinnis

Tmckinnis

That’s like going out on a boat without a life jacket

7. Tmckinnis

Tmckinnis

That’s being smart

8. Tmckinnis

Tmckinnis

Dead people don’t get a do over

9. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

I'd say it's more like going out on a boat and knowing how to swim.

10. jstfish48162

jstfish48162

11. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

What leaves me scratching my head are the guys that have these suits and think they are invincible.. "my suit floats!" cool, have you tried it? Have you ever heard of hypothermia? Do you really love to do the Polar Bear Plunge?..

A few days ago I was on a lake and a guy asked me about the west end. I said its known for perch but it freezes sketchy, I would use caution venturing out. He replies "ahhh, my bibs float". Really, you are thinking about possibly putting your self in danger because your bibs float..

I've heard "it's cool, my suit floats" way to much. I own a striker suit and love it. Do I throw safety to the wind because it "floats". Hell no! I act like it don't because I'm not looking forward to getting wet and having to crawl out. I've been through years ago, it's not fun.

12. big davee

big davee

What's really bad about that is you have to have the parka and bibs for it to work. You can't just have the bibs. Says right on the tag of the striker hardwater suit I bought. And really all they are for is to make you a little buoyant. Not intended to be a life jacket.

13. Tmckinnis

Tmckinnis

That’s why I where a mustang it is a life jacket and anty hypothermic ,sterns also make jackets

14. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

For me, my bibs and jacket definitely don’t make me feel invincible. I’ve always said it may not save me but my body will be right on top. I’ve gone through before also and had a very hard time getting back to my truck. I really don’t like going out on 3-4” of ice or less, but when I’m out on any ice I do like the reassurance that maybe I’ll have a better chance to get home if I do bust through. It’s in NO way a guarantee but it may help. I know I spend a lot of money on equipment to help me be more successful fishing (electronics, lures, reels etc) Spending money on something that may help me live was an easy choice. But to each their own, I fished a lot of years in carhartt bibs and jacket.

15. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

:cool: I’m heading out soon to go buy some floaties and a 25,000 Argo so I can do this properly.

Guys Please forgive me > I just couldn’t take it anymore :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Fishfreak48 and ibthetrout like this.