Time for a new noob question - what rifle do I want?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Macs13, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Same here.

2. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

I bought mine at Dunhams online - they have stuff in their warehouse that they'll ship to your local Dunhams for free. Can't beat that, even if some of them have iffy customer service. Opens up a lot more options

3. Old lund

Old lund

I like the accutriger on my savage rifles , most of my guns are savage and all have that trigger and are all tack drivers

fishnpbr and jiggin is livin like this.
  4. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I really like the accutrigger. My wife does not. It takes some getting used to for sure.

5. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

Mine worked fine for the first 500 rds., then I had to turn it all the way up to avoid tripping the trigger when racking the bolt fast, or even moderately. Turned all the way up it is still a nice trigger to shoot, but not a design I want to rely on in the field.

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I'll shoot and kill 100 yards all day with my 870 smooth bore. Haven't practiced farther yet but on box of slugs I use says zeroed at 75 yards there's a 7.6" drop at 125 yards. I'm in in high at 100 and they group well.

Smooth bore needs rifled slugs. My gun likes American Whitetail by Hornady.

To op buy a 450.... all my brother's have them and every which one we can all shoot a different gun and touch bullets at 100 yards.

7. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Yup. This happened on mine until I tightened it up.

8. Macs13

Macs13

I just looked that one up. It looks like a nice gun with good reviews at around $500 plus optics. It also looks like another gun that might be hard to find right now. Cabelas website has it as unavailable.

I really would like to slide into a 450, tbh, but I also really like everything that I've read about the Savage Axis legend 350. I can get that gun with a scope for around $400. The difference in price isn't enough to matter, honestly. It's more about my familiarity, limited though it may be, with Savage.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

If that’s the savage with the accutrigger, that’s a nice gun. The stock sucks, but you can replace it with a Boyd’s stock.

10. sureshot006

IMO the stocks suck on all these cheaper guns.

11. weekendredneck

weekendredneck

I bought an Axis in 350 L. Last year and love that gun. It’s a tack driver and cheap to shoot compared to a 450BM. As a side note I don’t have any shots farther than 150 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Macs13 likes this.
  12. dpretired

dpretired

That's my Zone 3 gun laying across that 4 pointer's back. It's a Remington 11/87, 12 gauge semi-automatic rifled barrel slug gun with a 2X7 Leupold scope on it. Holds five shells. Sighted in with Remington 12 ga. Copper Solids (which employ an all-copper Barnes bullet), it hits right on the money all the way out to 50 yards and is 6" low at 100 yards. Beyond that those heavy bullets really drop fast. So far, I've killed six deer with it down in Zone 3. Then there's those several others that I've killed with my 50 cal. muzzleloader down here. It shoots the exact same type of bullets as my shotgun, Barnes Expander MZ's. Those big Barnes deep hollow point bullets are absolutely devastating on deer, plow right through them every time, and always leave great blood trails to follow, that is, if they don't drop dead on the spot. For most sighting distances in the woods (100 yards and under), I think a slug gun like mine is a great choice, especially since deep in the woods is where I like to hunt most of the time. The weather resistant stock is nice too; don't have to worry about your stock warping after getting caught in the rain.

Now if you plan on being in a some pre-designated spot for shooting long distances only, like across an big open field, you will need something other than a slug gun, maybe one of the new 450 Bushmasters or 350 Legends everybody likes bragging about these days. Yes, it's true, I love my shotgun, but hey, to each his own, that's what I say. Myself, I don't like the low-hanging detachable magazines that come with those new guns, not at all. Who needs or expects more than two shots at a deer anyway? Besides that, those magazines are sticking out right where I like to hold onto the gun while I'm walking. What a turn-off that is! Aside from all that, whatever you choose, just remember that all bullets have a curved trajectory; it's not like pointing a laser light. So if you are sighted in to hit right on the money somewhere way out there, you will be hitting real high at closer ranges with the same point of aim. And vice versa; if you're sighted in for short range, you'll have to hold your cross hairs high on your target or maybe even over your target at long range depending on how far out your target is. And that's something you'll have to keep in mind all the time. Anyway, good luck with your choice. There's a lot to choose from.

HUNTING 2017 deer three enhanced email sizel.jpg

13. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

14. sureshot006

Depending on how much you shoot, consider ammo prices of the various calibers. Might not be much of an issue. Sounds like you won't be shooting a lot, just deer and a sight in session each year.

Can probably get slugs? I haven't looked lately. I know they ain't cheap. Something like 5 shells for $14-15. 450 isn't that cheap either but a little more reasonable around $35 per 20. 350 should be around $24 per 20.

Macs13 likes this.
  15. skipper34

skipper34

That’ cuz you a’nt looked at the Rem 783 with the wanut stock. Mine’ beautiful.

sureshot006 likes this.