Time for a new noob question - what rifle do I want?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Macs13, Oct 25, 2020.

1. greense1

greense1

Savage Axis. Have one in a 350 Legend and a 30-06. Both are incredibly accurate for the price tag. Pisses off the guys in camp with their “nice” guns every year lol.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Thats probably the most important thing! Sell it and she'll never consider such a gift again.

But really, depending on what you want to do out of state (elk, moose, etc), you may want to consider a second rifle option not currently legal in the SLP and the 350 for around here. Heck buy the 350 now and pick another rifle when you decide what you're going to do out of state.

Macs13 likes this.

3. up520

up520

I use everything from 50 Beowulf, 54cal,.44mag, to 12 gauge depending on how I feel and where I hunt. Each tool has it's own purpose just as the tools in your garage.

BUT I would encourage you to shop as there is a big difference between pump, bolt, lever, semi-auto, and singles hot actions.

The best thing you can do is see what is comfortable for you as that will factor in to SAFE handling and shot placement as type and caliber. Look at your budget and don't forget to include cleaning kits, scopes, mounts, practice/ use ammo, range time, targets, slings, sights, etc... into your decision making process.

Good Luck and happy shopping

JS714 likes this.
  4. up520

up520

I won't comment on the choke your thinking about as I don't have any experience with it. However when using shot you should plan for an average spread of about 1" for each yard of distance. 25Y = 25" of spread and that is wider/ taller than most deer so you will have .32cal rounds going down range. At 25Y you would be better off with your bow.

Plus if you have ever seen 00 buck vs ballistic gel videos, it zips through 18-20 inch blocks without slowing; thus going down range well past your target.

Also you can get many of the calibers suggested in this thread for your AR. It is just a matter of swapping uppers and you don't have to but a whole new weapon as a cost reduction.

5. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

Looking threw your post and what you are after. If in southern Michigan. I would go with one of three options: 350, the 450 or a muzzle loader.
    The newer inline muzzle loader have shown to be very nice at long range.
    The 450 and 350 I am seeing most say about 200yards and some pushing 300 yards.
    From reviews I will be picking up a 350 this winter for my daughter to use. She will than have a 350 for down south, and can use either her 243 or the 350 up north.
    Don't over think your choice on gun.
    I hunted many years with a 12 gauge monster 500 with a smooth barrel using rifled slugs out to 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I would say a 450BM or a muzzle loader will cover a broad range of uses, including the limited firearm zone, with plenty of power and range.

The 350 isn't bad either.

The 450BM doesn't kick that bad, IDK why everyone says that. They ARE loud though.

7. Macs13

Macs13

I really appreciate all of the feedback.

1. I'm not actually shooting buckshot. I was being a smart ass. I've got rifled slugs for the shotty if I decide to go that route. My choke adaptor (from M*Carbo - high quality) was purchased for turkey and waterfowl shot.

2. I'm more comfortable, at this point, with the crossbow inside of 50 yards than I would be with the shotgun anyway. I've had more practice with it because it's a lot easier to walk into your backyard and fire the bow. My neighbors and the cops wouldn't much appreciate it if I were ranging in the KSG. LMAO

3. It seems the consensus is a 350 or 450 BM. In regards to kick, I'm fine with that. My shotgun throws 3" 12ga shells and the kick doesn't bother me. Besides, other than range time, I should only ever be taking one, two at the most, shots so kick shouldn't matter too much.

4. My .22 rifle is Savage so I'm happy to see a few guys mention the company. In my limited experience, they seem to make a decent gun for a fair price. Maybe not every bell and whistle, but enough to get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Im going to be the odd man out here, and recommend a muzzleloader for the southern zone. It will do pretty much everything a 450 bushmaster will do, AND be legal to hunt the late muzzleloading seasons anywhere you want to go. If you are against that idea, I’d say the 450 is your best bet.

You aren't going to be able to match a centerfire rifle with any of the southern zone legal calibers for long range work, so make that a separate gun and take your pick of the long range calibers.

9. Old lund

Old lund

I agree with getting a muzzleloader the new inclines are sweet shooters and would keep you in the game late season if not in the any firearm zone ,

baseballdad likes this.
  10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

If you look into side by side comparisons, you will never find a reason to doubt a Savage. We have a couple now, and I absolutely love everything about them. Initially it was dumb luck that I bought one, but knowing what I know now coupled with the experience with them, I simply see no reason to buy anything else. Especially from just a performance angle.

None of the rifle makers these days make a BAD gun really. Even the $250 "budget" rifles like the Mossberg or a TC Compass will shoot way more than adequate for any deer hunter.

Think of it this way, the 350 Legend is a better version of the 30-30 that everyone loves. The 450BM just has a little more asss and about another 100yds of ethical range. Which is better than basically any other legal thing you can shoot in the Limited Zone, plus will be as far as you're ever going to get in the woods anywhere else. The only thing you will need more range for is out west or in a field, but even then most people don't shoot over 250-350yds. And of those that do shoot that far, half of them shouldn't. But, that is a different argument.

Richard Cranium and Milosh like this.
  11. Macs13

Macs13

Mossberg Patriot 450BM. $380 new. Plus optics.

That seemed like the best deal.

They didn't have any Savage Axis in 350 or 450 in stock. The Savage 110 was about $580 in a 350BM.

Those were the midrange rifles that I saw at my local shop.

If I have this correctly, the 450 (ideal conditions, good shooter, etc) is accurate and deadly to about 300 yards and the 350 should get me to about 200 yards. The 450 will have a bit more recoil, although the gun guy here equated it to a 20 ga shotgun so that doesn't worry me at all.

I'm leaning toward the Mossberg. I know the name. They have a good reputation. With a 450 BM, it has range and power.

12. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

I have no personal experience with the mossberg but I did come across a few bad reviews when researching before I bought my 450. Not necessarily trying to scare you away from it just letting you know. If I remember right a few different reviews from a few different sources I read you might get one that’s an absolute tack driver and the one right next to it that’s identical might struggle to hold a group. I don’t remember the sources now but worth doing some research and watching some YouTube videos. I bought the cva scout and I think you can find them a little cheaper than the savage with a scope too. I shot mine the other day with and without the muzzlebreak. Without its got a little kick and if you didn’t have a rubber butt plate, you would know you shot a box of shells when you were done. With the muzzlebreak it’s barely got a kick at all and you could probably shoot it all day(with hearing protection that is).

13. Macs13

Macs13

I did look briefly at the CVA Scout but since I'd never heard of the company, I kind of glossed past it.

14. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

I would consider it for an affordable option. There’s a few threads on this website on which .450 bm or .350 legend to buy. CVA Scout, Ruger American Ranch, and the Savage 110 seem to be the most popular the Mossberg is mentioned a few times too. I would check them out they were a help to me when I was looking.

Macs13 likes this.
  15. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

Mossbergs are hit and miss. You may get one that will drive tacks, or get one that everything is loose and rattles.
    For budget minded, the savage or rugger are great guns.
    Even the use marlin x series are great. Wish marlin still made them, I would buy a few different ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app