Time for a new noob question - what rifle do I want?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Macs13, Oct 25, 2020.

1. WhitetailNWalleye

WhitetailNWalleye

If value is what your looking for, I would also vote for the savage axis. I own two of them. I get the m-carbo trigger kits for 20 bucks and throw decent glass on them and they are great shooters.

2. Waif

Waif

Southern Mi. restricted zone does not support 500 yard range popular cartridges in a rifle.
    Understandably , it can be tight quarters as far as homes and other hunters in many areas.

I passed a shot (with a rifle far more than capable) at 120 yards.
    It's still dialed in per trajectory for a heck of a range. But that's on paper. Without me hyperventilating. l.o.l..

I forgot about your Keltec....
    Not my cup of tea due to no experience with one.
    I have used a longer barreled twelve and recovered a one oz. slug from a buck. Or the remains of an oz..
    It was closer than 40 yards..Well , closer than 20.
    The slugs in this vid seemed to have plenty of steam at 40 still.

3. Macs13

Macs13

The gun actually patterns very well and it's nice and compact - great for hiking with it. Seeking more range, though. I had a nice buck walk the exact same route on me two days in a row. He was at 100 yards. No guarantee that I'll see him again on that route during gun season, of course, but if I do, it'd be nice to have a chance at hitting him.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. JS714

JS714

Your Ravin most likely has as good or better range than buckshot, and slugs can wander a bit beyond 50-75 yards since they're basically a knuckleball being launched. A rifled barrel on a shotgun can be an excellent choice. I use a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag as I hunt in the north and some of our stands are on ag fields, but every year (even though I have several other pretty decent rifles to choose from), I carry this Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and AccuTip Sabots in 385 grain to camp with me for backup or if I decide to still hunt one of the swamps. If you have any gun shops near by, check one out for something used before investing heavily last minute.
    KIMG0521.JPG

Richard Cranium, up520 and Waif like this.
  5. Grandriverrat

Grandriverrat

450 would be my choice as well. CVA single shot with a good scope for smaller budget.

6. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

350 legend gets my vote. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot any deer. Great confidence builder and the more you shoot the easier it gets

7. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

450 or 350 depending on how you handle recoil. At 200 yards the 450 has a pretty good energy advantage. If you want only 1 rifle for MI and out of state, and you're not apt to flinch at the thought of recoil, I think the 450 has the edge. Its a tough choice though. Unless you're hunting open areas you'll not likely shoot over 150 yards in MI.

8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Better yet...

Sell the ksg or whatever that thing is, and buy your pick of 308, creed, 7mm08, 7mm mag, (some longer range big game cartridge) AND a 350 legend. Then you've got the whole state covered plus out of state.

9. Botiz

Botiz

.350 would get my vote. I bought the Savage 110 Storm and I love it. No recoil and it won’t leave your head ringing like a .450.

The 110 Storm has a short 18” stainless barrel. It’s a super short rifle. I wanted it as I’ll be hunting out of my saddle and wanted something handy. It’s a very short rifle, just FYI as it may not be for everyone.

Regardless, I would vote for .350 do to its overall shootability. But if you’re an AK shooter you’re probably already deaf so maybe get the .450 haha.

10. Old lund

Old lund

I give a vote for the savage 220 , I’ve killed deer at 150 yards with mine . Being in the southern zone like stated do you really have a place to shoot 300 yards ? I could afford to go get a 450 or 350 but I seen no need to stop using the 220

WMU05, anagranite and Botiz like this.
  11. Cat Power

Cat Power

350 legend

As a new shooter you will appreciate the low recoil and report

Sprytle and crossneyes like this.
  12. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Don’t go with the namby pamby .450. Real men shoot 12 gauges. I recommend a Mossberg 695 slug gun. Shoots well and just gently nudges the shoulder - not much different than getting hit on the shoulder by someone swinging a baseball bat, which most real men would tell you is no big deal.

13. JS714

JS714

LOL...it's not so bad with the little rubber pad on the stock!!! :lol:

November Sunrise and sureshot006 like this.
  14. aacosta

aacosta

Ammo is cheaper with 350, love mine

Esquire, Sprytle and crossneyes like this.
  15. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

The zombie thing is for the younger generation. The AR is an excellent platform for hunting and if you already have on. All you really need is an upper and whatever sights you choose.

Good luck this season!

kaler9969 and 6Speed like this.
  16. Macs13

Macs13

I'll never sell the KSG. Not only do I love the gun, more importantly it was a gift from my woman. That's love.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app