Time for a new noob question - what rifle do I want?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Macs13, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Macs13

Macs13

Fired a box through that beast today. Met a nice guy from the forums here. If you read this, thanks for the advice. I was like a blind man on a racetrack trying to sight that thing in. I've never sighted a scope or fired a rifle like that so I can say that it was FUN FUN FUN but that I have a long way to go before I can hunt with it. She packs a punch, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. willl-burrr

willl-burrr

You’re welcome Macs13. It was nice to meet you as well. Keep at it. You’ll be shooting like a pro in no time. I was able to sight my new .450 ruger in with cheaper Winchesters with the rebate then switched over to Barnes Bullets with no change in POI. I have had great success with copper solids with my Muzzleloder with Barnes TEZs. They really stay together. It’s really cool when you find one in the opposite side of your deer. They actually look like a boat propeller all flowered out. Following this thread it seems like you gather lots of data so I wanted to share my method. Continued good luck to you this season. Will

pescadero, vsmorgantown and Macs13 like this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Macs, if changing bullets whether manufactured or reloaded (even just one component), you should expect to have to sight in again.

Sparky23 and Macs13 like this.
  4. JS714

JS714

I agree completely with this. While multiple loads might be similar at 100 yards, those same loads can vary wildly at 200. Weight, ballistic coefficient, and even a particular weapon's "preference" for a load can make that difference.

Sparky23, Macs13 and sureshot006 like this.
  5. Macs13

Macs13

Understood. I'm going to keep firing the Hornady until I see a reason not to. It's going to take me a few boxes to sight it to 100 and I might as well get comfortable with one readily available round and then adjust if needed down the road.

JS714 likes this.
  6. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

I
    Don't wanna seem like an A hole but I'm speaking from experience and I hate the saying it is what it is. Hornady 450 is garbage. Whether you change or wait for your own loss. It is what it is. Garbage. I digress

bansheejoel and Richard Cranium like this.
  7. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

Forgot the keypoint. Should take well less than a box to sight in. Pm me for further info. Don't wanna seem like a jerk.

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. Macs13

Macs13

It would take YOU less than a box? I've never sighted in a gun. Never fired a rifle bigger than a .22. I don't come from a gun or hunting family or friends. So maybe your view is applicable to your skill level but that wasn't my experience. I'm a beginner doing it completely on my own.

9. Waif

Waif

You can google , sighting in a rifle with two shots.

With a bolt action , you can peer through the bore first.
    Got to keep rifle secure of course....

10. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

A lot of the same principles apply to the 450 as it does the 22.

My preferred method to sighting in a gun is to shoot at 25 or 50 yards and get consistent groups so I can find the group center. Once that is done one scope move to get on center. Verify with 1 shot and move to 100. I shoot a fair amount and with any new gun or optic I will easily burn thru a box, but then again my goal isn't to get it done as quick and cheap as possible. With sub MOA guns the 2 shot sight in is possible. With 3-4 MOA guns you will be chasing your tail. Luckily the Ruger is sub MOA in my experience

kaler9969 likes this.
  11. Waif

Waif

Two shot method saves ammo by getting you on paper well.
    Then you can tweak groups.

I look up trajectory chart for a given caliber and dial in for maximum point blank range on deer rifles.
    Often that ends up a couple inches low at 50. And 2 3/4-3 inches high at a hundred to allow a center (top of back to belly/bottom line center on a 14ish inch target). It varies by caliber and rifle.

Your short range method reduces greater error/spread at longer range. As deviance close range Left-Right only grows with distance.

bowhunter426 likes this.
  12. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

You'll be fine. Just keep your cheek to the stock same each time, settle the crosshairs, breathe until ready to squeeze then pause your breath and continue to squeeze slow until the gun goes off. Should "almost" surprise you. The key is not flinching in anticipation of recoil when you expect the gun to go off.

I'd be practicing with cheaper ammo lol. You can get a pellet gun for like $50.

13. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

My method is removing the bolt from the rifle. Put the gun in a vise. Tape a piece of paper to the wall at the same level you can see while looking through the bore. Then take a sharpie and make a dot on the paper. Line it up so it's centered with the bore. Then adjust the scope to align with the dot on the paper. I have mounted numerous scopes on people's guns over the years and found this method to be tried and true. I worked for a few years at a sporting goods store in the early 2000's. This was more reliable than the various boresighting tools we had.

6thMichCav, pescadero and Waif like this.
  14. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

I have killed four deer with the Hornady Ballistic Tip in the .450 caliber and have NOT had a single pass through as well as lousy blood trail. The furthest any of them went was 30 yards though. Picked up a box of Federal Shockwave (260 grain) and will be sighting them in soon. They have to perform better than the Hornady's.
    I had been looking at the Bear Creek ammo, but at better than $50.00 per box, I will wait and see how these Federals perform.
    I also see there is factory loaded ammo from Barnes that is getting my interest as well!

Healyhardwood and JS714 like this.
  15. brookie1

brookie1

So the bullet expended all it's energy in the deer and none of them went more than 30 yards? I guess I don't see a problem. Who cares about blood when using a rifle. Shoot it and go gut it where it fell.

vsmorgantown and FullQuiver like this.