Time for a new noob question - what rifle do I want?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Macs13, Oct 25, 2020.

1. skipper34

skipper34

Way to go, Mac!! Let us know how she performs at the range.

pescadero and Macs13 like this.
  2. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

Awesome choice congrats.

Macs13 likes this.

3. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

Refer to the past threads on the 450BM ammo. Recommend zeroing in with the hornady but I'd strongly suggest picking a better round for killing deer.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  4. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Where wood is better:
    Aesthetics

Where synthetic is better:
    Weight, stability, longevity

jiggin is livin and sureshot006 like this.
  5. Macs13

Macs13

Why?

Many guys are brand loyal and I'm not interested in any of that. My internet research led me to Hornady as the best round for this specific gun.

What info did I miss?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

I know many guys will get mad and defend their results with hornady. I have probably pushing 40 kills with hornady sst sabots/ hornady 450 BM. Pretty much the same projectile. As I said in the other threads I will never send one at a deer again. Coyotes and targets is all for me with that. There are simply to many better alternatives. I use bear creek ballistics.

7. Fordguy

Fordguy

This the apex/110 storm gets my vote too but I've been looking for one for a while now and haven't been able to find one anywhere.

8. Macs13

Macs13

If you have 40 kills with it, why do you now dislike Hornady? I'm just gathering info. I've got 2 boxes of Hornady, so that's what I'll be starting out with, but I'd love to have the foreknowledge of what folks do and don't like about it so that I can weigh that against my personal experience.

To be clear, I'm not doubting your experience or being argumentative - I have no dog in the fight - I'm asking solely for the knowledge.

Thanks.

9. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

Very very accurate. Very very poor physical make up. Basically splatters. Ive shot 10 deer with the 450 hornady. The 10th I lost at 60 yds hitting bone. They literally can splatter on impact. I've recovered several bear creek after going through target and into sand and most are 95 to 98 percent weight retention. I can only speak for myself as well as my buddies experiences with the hornady. As I said never again on a deer.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  10. JS714

JS714

So, I'm curious about the Hornady comment also. I don't use Hornady (Federal Premium and Remington are what I use), but the zeroing in with it and then finding something different to hunt with goes against everything I've ever learned about ballistics and load preference.

Sparky23 likes this.
  11. JS714

JS714

Ahhh...so I've read this about other "ballistic tip" rounds also. Close range / very fast projectile has some experiencing the bullet fragmenting. Interesting. But, if that's the case and you're going to forego that round (except on coyotes, of course), use what you hunt with to zero with also.

12. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

Sorry I should rephrase. I'm sure he can't return the ammo he purchased, so I meant zero and familiarize himself with the rifle using the hornady. Then make sure it's the same with the good stuff and hunt. When I switched I only shot 2 rounds in the transition. The next was a 200 yd shot on a deer. Which was great terminal performance. My dad switched and never had to touch his scope. I had minimal adjustment. The same has held true for any of my buddies switching. Either no or minimal scope adjustment. This again is with the Bear Creek ballistics. We have been reloading it as well and having the same results as factory loads.

Macs13 and JS714 like this.
  13. Macs13

Macs13

Thanks. I'll look into Bear Creek. Hell, I love fishing in Bear Creek up on the west side.

14. Healyhardwood

Healyhardwood

Me too. They're out of battle creek area. They're are several other good ones from what I've read. I've just had great results from the bear creek and have been successfully reloading them so I'm thinking I've found my round for the long term. Good luck.