Throwing money at it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smooz, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Smooz

Smooz

So, with the help of many on this site I had what I believe to be a successful salmon trip to Lk MI a few months ago with a buddy of mine. We used my boat and his gear and did pretty well for a couple of noob's. Now's the time for me to "throw some money at it". I am a walleye fisherman from SE MI. I want to Salmon fish but don't want to go overboard with gear "just yet". Keep in mind that I will only be able to salmon fish 2 maybe 3 times per year. I have seen the post of a 100 bill burning, and I get it. I don't mind spending the money on decent gear. But I'm not quite ready to throw thousands of dollars at it right off the bat. I have read and saved posts with what many are using. However it has gotten a little overwhelming. I already have 2 rigger rods, so I want to set up 4 rods for now. I am looking for some advise as to what program is a good start. I am pretty set on the Okuma convector 55 ls (high speed) with drag upgrade and the Okuma GLT series of rods to start. Should my main focus be on copper, lead or dipsys. 2 coppers 300' or a 300 and 200? 10 color and 7 color lead ? I appreciate any advise. Thanks all.

2. Bubbers

Bubbers

I only fish with one person so I run 2 riggers 2 wire line dipseys and 2 coppers 200 and 300 off of boards. So far this year I have done the best on the wire line dipsey rods. You need a ratching style rodholder for the dipseys to get the rod vertical or you will have trouble getting the rod out of the holder with a fish on. The biggest game changer for me was buying a fish hawk. Temp and speed are critical. Good luck

3. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Temp you can get from the buoys at near by ports. Speed you can get from rigger blow back (cable angle) and diver rod bend. When I got the probe on my 22' I struggled as I learned I'd been catching fish where I should not have.

Then, I don't rely much on electronics. A 20 year old hand held GPS gets me into pirt and my speed over ground and an ancient Zercon depth finder tells me depth and sometimes marks fish.

Copper is harder to use than lead, but gets deeper. With snap or torpedo weights you can get a short core deeper, but you can't get a 300 copper to fish 20' down.

What time of year you are fishing and what port will dictate how deep you need to target, which will pick what you want to buy.

ErieH2O and Stand By like this.
  4. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Best two person spread would be two riggers two divers two boards.

ErieH2O, Bucman, syonker and 3 others like this.
  5. Kisutch

Kisutch

Fishhawk, spend the money. When you are poor you wish you would have spent the dough. On Lake Michigan you need the toy. It will catch you more fish. Period. But all I do is cry. 100,000 dead Atlantics at the Platte Hatchery. Nobody will be fired.

Kisutch

Former Lake Michigan Stakeholder

God Bless Dr Howard Tanner

Alewife what?

John Hine likes this.
  6. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I am cleaning house. Let me get some pics of stuff, I think I have 4 Dipsey rods with Daiwa Great Lakes Specials on two and sealines on the other two, spoons and other assorted stuff I'd like to take the easy way out and just get rid of it all to one good home for a very fair price......

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Noooo really? :lol:

ESOX likes this.
  8. Smooz

Smooz

Thank you all for the reply guys!. I wish I lived closer to the silver fish to go more often. ESOX, pm me when you have pic's and an idea of price

9. zfishman

zfishman

Get the wire dipsys, those would be the last two rods I would part with.

10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I don't run a probe on my 14'.

I haven't been skunked on that boat in two plus years, and I fish 40-50 times a year, year round from dozens of ports on many different lakes.

Yes I have 1000's of hours out there but most of it was before I had a probe on my 22'

Best way is to learn by feel before you get the probe, so you can use it as an aid and not a crutch. Then if it pukes when you really need it you won't be s o l.

Last two trips in the salmon hot spot that is West Michigan.

123_1.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

11. steelers fan

steelers fan

This post is spot on!! I've fished lake Mi for 30ish years and dont have or need a fish hawk.
    judge your speed by the blow back of your riggers, and diver rods, and your rigger cables will also show you the direction of the underwater currents..
    good luck,keep it simple and have fun...

12. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Got back into salmon fishing from 2015 to 2019 season and did quite well using 2 downrigger rods, 2 dipseys, a 300 copper and a 10 color. All bought off CL. Always eyed the fish hawk, but never saw the need. The bouy gives some pretty good water Temps and my electronics were pretty good so I just put my lures where I marked fish and caught them. We had the occasional skunk, but it was rare

Far Beyond Driven and Smooz like this.
  13. Smooz

Smooz

I was thinking the same thing as you are running.

14. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

The 10 color was the least productive. Of the setup, dipseys were the most productive. I might forgo the lead core when I get back into salmon fishing.