close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Throwing Mice after Dark

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by billya, Jul 27, 2016.

1. DryFly

DryFly

Nice advise guys. I have been mousing for years. I live on the Little M so it is convenient to do.
    It's been a while since I have visited this site and this is why my response is late. Everything said here is spot on especially the dark. The darker the better. This is why I do not boat fish at night. You really need to study and know the water in daylight before you go out at night. Fishing strange water in the dark is a disaster.
    I have tied many mouse patterns. The bigger are more realistic but harder to cast. I prefer a wide pattern mouse but fairly flat so there will be less resistance for casting. Another trick I use is to tie some glow in the dark material to the top of the mouse. This way I can see where it is and the fish below can not see the glow.
    You need a 7 wt. (no less) to hold those big browns.

ongo, Steve and Mike like this.
  2. I used to throw mice in Michigan at night when hex was nowhere to be seen. I had great luck too, especially at the very last and first hint of daylight. I always fished the area I was going to stalk beforehand when it was light out to get a feel for the terrain, cover and the distances before dark. It saved a lot of flies and frustration. I only moused while wading in Michigan and so was limited in where I could go. That made for casting and fishing in all types of scenario's like upstream, downstream, across stream and anything else that popped up. That was in a certain spot I fished often.
    It wasn't until I moved to NC that I was able to float a river with a friend who knew that river real well. He called me to go one night on a moonless night with lots of fog cover. I used a 9.5' 7 weight with a full floating line. A shorter two-step leader was all we needed along with a Preparation H. That's a foam mouse fly like someone was asking about but with a well thought out application of deer hair to help it move water and get attention and as an aid in floating.
    We never quite hit a legit 30" brown on that E. TN tailwater that night but all three of us that night got close... real close.
    In Michigan I had no set method for mousing at night but know that my catch rate went up when the fly was in the water and not in the trees.
    This is a Prep H...
    PrepH.jpg

3. abbatoys

abbatoys

That is a good looking fly. Still need to get out and try mousing..

4. DryFly

DryFly

I took one of my favorite low profile mouse patterns and tied one with the hook point up. It tied OK and looks good but I'm not sure how it will land on the water. Normally the hook bend and point is heavier and lands point down. White foam is for flotation and adds some viability in the dark so I can locate my fly. DSCF1161.JPG DSCF1157.JPG ill need to do some field (water) testing.

5. DryFly

DryFly

My other favorite mouse patterns are full body. I believe bigger mice catch bigger fish, but they are harder to cast. The white fluff on the front is "glo-in-the-dark Hi-viz. It works great for locating your fly. Especially when the drift does not feel right and you look up to see your fly 'glowing" in the tree branch. lol
    These are crude looking patterns. In the past I have spent hours tying mice patterns complete with eyes, ears, nose etc. They look pretty and take up a lot of time. I soon came to realize the big Browns really don't give a damn how they look. Present them with something close to size and shape, make noise hitting the water, leave a good dragging wake and be prepared for big attack.

DSCF1168.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Marko Berg

Marko Berg

7. Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Keep us posted on how the hook point up mouse works out

8. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Last time I tried mousing I ended up catching smallies and pike. Might have been in the wrong water. LOL

CorlewsOutdoors and plugger like this.