thousand island lake western UP

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by jrmate22, Jul 23, 2020.

1. jrmate22

jrmate22

Canada trip went bust in June - we moved it to Sept - now that's bust to. Staying in state now, going to try a totally new area/bodies of water in the Cisco chain. We are staying on thousand island lake the week of Sept 19th. I imagine we will target walleye and sometimes pike, smallies if we can find them, but we are keen to spend time pan fishing as well, basically we aren't picky. Without any specific input, we were going to fish breaks and weed lines early and late in the day with harnesses, crnakbaits... maybe try slip bobbers with leeches. If anyone feels like sharing anything about that area or tactics, I am all ears, never been there, but it looks like a really neat area and a lot of fishable water - I'm sure we will put together a good program by weeks end, but I sure like having a program on day 1 :) PM's welcome, I will reciprocate / follow up on what we learned and how things went.

2. shametamer

shametamer

cisco hAS lots of perch mostly smallish but should be eatable size by mid september.. record, big n little african..all north of 1000 island usually hold panfish.....largemouth are best caught in the weed/stump fields between lakes....musky are most predominant in 1000 island as are a few whitefish..smallmouth i found to be best in the main lake part of 1000 island..leeches under a slip bobber is the preferred method for daytime walleye..cranks, off island points at dusk, dark or pre dawn work well...pike you find anywhere..the wisconsin portion of the chain often is NO trolling(i have not seen wisconsin regs this year, so be careful..wisc DNR can be real sticklers for the law)..we used to sit on one side of ,many submerged islands and cast our leech presentation to the dark other side for eyes....as far as color?? shoot never found a particular color better than another..there is a shallow area, rock laden just out from indian head and the center island that often attracts the bigger critters..smallies, muskies and northerns...when the baitfish are utilizing the area... p.s. and should you be trailering in wisconsin make sure all plugs are out and weeds are off..the same as our mich regs now..but wisconsin does not believe in warnings they like to ticket

jrmate22 likes this.

3. rector piscator

rector piscator

Spent a day out there in June of this year. Was passing through and wanted to scout it out for future trips. Lots of water, lots of islands. Obviously, having only spent 6-7 hours on the water gives me no real perspective, but seemed like a very (fishy) nice water system. Numerous pike, and one 38" musky, caught. Never made to the Wisconsin part of the water.

jrmate22 likes this.
  4. jrmate22

jrmate22

Thanks for all the feedback, I don't plan on even fishing the Wisconsin water - keep it simple and put my 27$ to use on our side of the border. Im looking forward to the new water, I like the learning aspect of new water, I just want to give us decent odds of beign productive for the second half of the trip - weather permitting!

5. jrmate22

jrmate22

If you are just passing through and ran into fish on a scouting trip, thats a good sign in my book!

6. KrazyKaiser

KrazyKaiser

Big Lake looks interesting , is it worth taking the ride over?

7. shametamer

shametamer

big lake is the wisconsin water we have had the most success in...although you get some musky from mamie

8. UPEsox

UPEsox

Michigan side is good water, granted most of my fishing there is musky focused. The way I learned the lake was pulled out the map, marked 6-7 spots that all had different features that I thought would hold fish. Went spot to spot and based on success would look for another spot with similar features. For some reason the walleye in the UP love a leech under slip float or way bigger stick baits than you'd think at dusk.

The reefs in Thousand Island hold fish anytime of day, if the smaller fish stop biting time to throw the Cowgirl out and see if you can hook up with a nice big toothy critter.

9. jrmate22

jrmate22

sounds like evening trolling w husky jerks is an option. I think we will end up throwing everything in the box his trip :)

UPEsox likes this.
  10. Cable

Cable

We also had the best luck on Big Lake for musky. For walleye we hit the humps in the lake next to big which I can't remember the name of. We hired a musky guide who said if the fish on the humps are up high fish them for walleye if they are down low there is probably a musky there.

11. waldowillie

waldowillie

Cisco is a great chain for musky. If you want a decent chance at other species, then fish Indian Lake on the chain but take it slow getting back into this lake from East Bay and use a slip bobber, you'll be surprised.

12. Zib

Zib

My son & I fished Cisco & Thousand Island for the first time back in June. We mostly caught large mouth & some smallies with a few hammer handles. We mostly fished the pads & timber but did try for walleye in Cisco in the deeper water but only encountered dink perch. There was a LOT of boats out fishing the day we went & it was the middle of the week.

Seen a few deer on Thousand Island swimming from island to island & some bald eagles so that was nice.