close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This thread could save your life

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by MiketheElder, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Ed Michrina

Ed Michrina

Hey TVCjohn, Thank you for what you did for a living. Trust me, you might as well be on the Moon and expect a rescue. No one can help you. In my mind the Only and true professionals are the CG (ice rescue). I know the Fire Dept's do a great job but If the bad, gets Way Worse the CG are the people I want looking for me.

98% of people try not to do stupid stuff . There are risk in anything you do. This post was in attempt to Hopefully make one think before they partake in thier activity, what ever it is.

What spawned this post is perfect people knocking others thinking they are to smart to need help. I hate sportsman knocking other sportsman. Sure Some people do push the limit (way over) and hopefully they take something form all the post.

Thanx TVCJ.

2. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

Hey Ed,

I suppose it's fair to say everyone can make a mistake and lose their situational awareness. I recall reading or hearing one of the guys who was rescued from Erie say the only way he knew something was amiss was his lines seemed to be drifting or moving in the ice hole. He was way out there with some other fisherman. Probably a good lesson there....if your line is angled off or moving and it's not a fish...you might need to find out why ASAP.

As we get closer to spring and the temps rise, keep an eye on the weather and wind in Lake Erie and Metro.

You might have seen these before. If not, attached are a couple of CG vids of night time ice rescues filmed from the helo's hoist cam. Both vids are from Air Station Detroit helo's. In the first one, you can see the ice fisherman is in real bad shape....probably hypothermic. I don't recall where that rescue was done. You can hear them mention Ira Township. The 2nd rescue takes place at Saginaw. These vids give you an idea of the comms that take place during a hoist operation.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015

3. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

Hey Ed,

Did you get my PM I sent you a few days ago?

John

4. MiketheElder

MiketheElder

Yes, he did.

Happy Ending. End of story.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

Ed,

I sent you another PM with some info you may be interested in.

John

6. bonerici

bonerici

I read through this thread again, and I am reminded how many times people talk about jackets and survival suits because

"Anything can happen"

Well, yeah I know it is true, but one thing that has changed over the 10 or 20 years is that amazingly the weather predictions have become incredibly accurate but they only work well in a three day time frame.

So, if you want to take any lesson from this storm, it is that do look at the weather predictions, they work! I know when we were growing up you just couldn't trust them, and yes it's true that a week out, the weather predictions still don't work but you have three days of warning for a storm like this.

If you want to take a single lesson from this incident, the most important thing is not flares, or cell phones, or life jackets or survival suits (though they are all important) --- the single most important thing is, read the weather report!

I have noticed that year by year, they keep getting better at modelling the weather, so you have the WRAMS 8k great lakes, the NAM 12k, GFS .5, CMC .6, the RUC 13k the WRF 5km, all of these models they keep getting better and better, so check the weather report please, and don't do it a week before, remember do it three days before, that's when the predictions start getting really good.

7. wango

wango

Hey all, I'm a newbie here and to ice fishing. I have no experience with ice fishing or fishing at all for that matter. I'm a firefighter and was riding with another firefighter in the U.P. We were off trail on private property (with permission) taking a shortcut to town. We were crossing a ravine that has a small stream in the bottom. Normally its about 2 ft deep and 15 across, most of the time the snow and ice are deep enough that we don't notice it. But that year there were a couple thaws and heavy rains followed by deep snow. The stream was almost 6 feet deep. It was about 10 degrees and I put my sled through. It took less than 30 minutes to get the sled out and get back to my buddy's cabin. I don't remember getting there, my buddy said I was slurring my speach and not making alot of sense. Out of cell phone range he got me into dry clothes and into a sleeping bag by the woodstove. It was a couple hours before I quit shivering and a good 10 hours before I felt warm. But the experience scared the heck out of me.
    I am in no way an expert on this subject, but having been there, I would warn anybody against intentionally going into the water. Unless you have the proper survival gear and training to do so. I was only in the water a couple minutes and the wind chill on the ride back may have made it worse than it was, but I've never been that cold. Just my two cents.

8. catfisher69

catfisher69

Glad you guys got out im going to go buy a life jacket now this may sound dumb but I love ice fishing more then regular fishing and don't know how to tread water so I will for surely be buying a life jacket thanks for sharing ur story!!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. etilagra

etilagra

wanted to post somewhat of a response to the arcticle about the ice flow,I personally have spent my life in the outdoors and came close to death several times,once it was really just a flip of a coin,could have gone either way,for some reason i have never been to concerned myself but i guess allowing things like that to happen can be a bit selfish since we all have others who would suffer if we lost our lives.today i do wear survival clothing and have plenty of survival items on my boat for anyone involved,you can buy the float suits on the net-ebay for a boat cheap,I also have purchased some mustang mac 10 mac 20 mac 100 suits online very resonable,there are things available at resonable prices to keep you alive and no reason not to own something that will work in that situation we all think wont happen to us.I guess what really turned me around was grand children and my attchemnt to them and alos being extremly protective of them,just some thought and hope you all consider making it safe for you and your friends relatives.
    Tom

10. ficious

ficious catch & digest Premium Member

Its that time of year again. please read the first post in this thread.

The current shore ice is coming to an end. By my records, over due. Please keep an eye over your shoulder and be careful. Canals are a safer option wth the weather thats forcasted. JMO Be safe!

Harry

11. Topshelf

Topshelf

Wow never saw that the first time.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Great info and video of what to do when going through ice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015