close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This thread could save your life

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by MiketheElder, Nov 19, 2006.

1. moosetracks91

moosetracks91

where do you get that mustang surivial suit?

2. MiketheElder

MiketheElder

3. kimberkid

kimberkid

This story scared me. Where do you get these Mustang Survival Suits?

About how much do they run?

Do they have a built in life jacket? Or do you ware one under it?

4. MiketheElder

MiketheElder

Click on the link in the post above yours.

5. kimberkid

kimberkid

Got it after I posted, OOPS! Thanks Mike.

6. Revan

Revan

I was trying to get the wife to come fishing with me this year. That is until she was reading over my shoulder and saw the original post here.:sad:

7. GaryFisherman

GaryFisherman

isn't the water only like 3 feet deep near the shore over there...I would have jumped and walked to the ice connected to shore and climbed up....anytime the ice breaks away you can count your going for a ride......

I remember that day...when there is a minimal amount of ice at Metro and you get an off shore wind then you are in trouble...That is why I never ice fish there....

8. GaryFisherman

GaryFisherman

The moral of the story is to use your brain so innocent firefighters and coast guard don't have to risk their lives so you can catch a perch...

9. Ed Michrina

Ed Michrina

No it was more like 5 to 6 foot. Its one of those, you had to be there. with my luck I'jump in and hit my head on the ice while everyone else found a chunk that was still connected to shore and walked off. When we first started the wind was almost dead with a very light on-shore breeze. The discovery channel did a special on that incident (storm stories) The weather guy was almost excited talking about it because it was such a freak storm/front. If you can still find it, its interesting to watch.

QUOTE: The moral of the story is to use your brain so innocent firefighters and coast guard don't have to risk their lives so you can catch a perch...QUOTE

I Some day I'll be as perfect as you. Its just like those darn speeders on the icy roads. They wrongly judge the road conditions and put people, firefighters and police in jeopardy cleaning up their bad decision . While we are at it. Lets make boating illegal. I wouldn't want our CG or Firefighters to have to risk their lives in a storm or at night. over a silly perch or walleye dinner.

OH-Never-mind that is what they are paid to do.

10. GaryFisherman

GaryFisherman

man...I have to much respect for others than to even think of putting their lives at risk in any scenario....it is just a bit selfish to know something is dangerous because of the conditions and still go ahead and do it knowing that you or others could die.

btw...driving on ice roads isn't wise either. Firefighers job is to not patrol and police others like a father would with a teenager who insists on doing any odd number of reckless things.

Their job is to help individuals who in the normal course of life have things happen to them. Normal being the operative word here. Would you think it would be great idea that all of a sudden a bunch of smokers decided to smoke standing with open gas containers next to them and to do that repeatedly? and then the smokers insisted year in and year out to be rescued because of that behavior???

If this was a one off event then so be it. But everyyear some ice fishermen who have a sense ( and I use the word sense very loosely) of entitlement. The "I will do what I want when I want" mentality. they go out there when they know better. Ok. That is their choice but next time I hope they don't call for help like a lost child in a supermarket...don't put other lives at risk.. they don't deserve that.

I am glad you are still with us and I am glad noone died that night....

11. MiketheElder

MiketheElder

Gary, I think you need to reread Post #1. READ IT, don't skim it.

It started out as a nice day then ALL OF A SUDDEN...........

You are way, way offbase here. BTW, the author of the story is also a public servant so he knows what public service is all about without your explanation.

Every year we see new people on the ice who are ill-prepared for the conditions. There are a few stories going around of a few people, who took advantage of the generosity of the Lake St. Clair Walleye Association this year, who had no idea what it is like to be out on the ice. Tennis shoes, pajama pants, spring weight jacket, no hat. This thread is for that guy. All-knowing people like you need not read or waste your (and our) time taking part in this thread.

12. shawnfire

shawnfire

i am a firefighter and it's our job to protect people and save property. No matter what happens, we don't know or ask what or why we just do. does it matter no.... i would rather try to save someone on the ice then to responed to the drunk driver that just hit a child thats for sure.

13. GaryFisherman

GaryFisherman

I understand that newbies can get in over their head. I also know people are humans and make mistakes in judgement. My concern is the reckless behavior of a certain element.

I have read on here just this week of people using boards during last ice to cross open water to reach ice from the shore. This is obviously a recipe for disaster. The tone used by such "sportsmen" is a form of false bravado. That your not a man until you display such reckless behavior. Besides the obvious danger involved it sets a bad example to newbies especially kids, non fisherman and the public in general.

The bottom line is we never want to see anyone getting hurt during outdoor pursuits.

@ Shawn..thank you for helping out and being an asset to society.

14. rouge hunter

rouge hunter

Thanks I just read the original article and I must say it's a real eye opener. I will think twice when I get that what the hell, why not go for it next time. I truly want to thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully your information will save someone's life.

15. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

I read the OP and all posts after. Heck of a first hand story.

I'm finally retiring out of the CG after 30 yrs. I was stationed at Air Station Detroit (SANGB) from 00-04 and Air Station Traverse City from 94-98. While I was at Detroit the air station flew on numerous ice cases up and down our area of operations. I remember ones from Tawas all the way towards Buffalo. Not a whole lot to add to what has already been posted. I might suggest a couple of things. From our perspective, a GPS can be a handy thing to have should you get stuck out on the ice, especially at night. Pay attention to the weather (especially the wind) and understand what effect that will have on where you are fishing. During the spring warming, any place that was on the westward end of a body of water you had to really pay attention to the wind. The westward end of Lake Erie seemed to create a fair amount of ice cases. At the time I was there, the ready crews would talk about the upcoming weather, the temps, wind direction, ice thickness and where much of the fishing has been taking place. As I recall, a classic scenerio is a warm trend with a westward wind on a weekend. Most folks fish on the weekend and the ice fills up with people, sleds, atv's, cars, equipment, etc. When folks fish quite a ways from shore, that puts a bit of weight on the ice and a big chunk would fracture off. A westward wind is present and of course that helps push the fractured chunk downwind. I know many reading this can recall some of the large ice cases from down there.

Metro of course was another place with heavy traffic and prone to north and westward winds. I can recall a few times flying by Metro in our orange helo and seeing the folks fishing out towards the edge of the ice. Much like Erie, that concentrates the weight away from shore. I went by there one time and there was a big crack just off the beach. Someone made a wooded bridge so folks could still cross the crack and fish.

Being at SANGB, we ice trained right there at Anchor Bay. If you ever find yourself needing to get hoisted by a helo, be prepard for the rotor wash as it is very strong. If the ice is slick, the rotor wash can cause you to loose your footing and fall. It will also be very cold with the wind chill and hard to keep your eyes open because of the tearing. Be prepared to leave your gear on the ice because we likely won't want you to bring it inside the helo as we need the space for the other stranded people. As I recall from an air crew who flew on a Lake Erie case, I think one fisherman asked them if there was anyway we could get his ATV in the helo. Needless to say his ATV didn't make the ride. As I recall the story, he was a little miffed we couldn't get his ATV off the ice.

I can also recall a couple of cases, one in Anchor Bay and one in Saginaw, where the folks were traveling on snowmobiles at night and hit thin ice and went in. I can't remember which one but the aircrew was able to locate the sled tracks that night and followed them to the hole in the ice. A very tragic ending.

Somewhere I have some pics of a vehicle that went in on the north end of Anchor Bay. I recall vehicles going thru a few of times. I was fishing on Lake Skegmog up here near TC yesterday. Someone drove their vehicle out on the ice. When I got there, there was a fresh crack about 3" wide right at the boat ramp where they drove onto the ice. I don't know if they caused it or not but they had to drive over it when they were coming back in. I will never be brave enough to drive my vehicle on the ice....but that's just me.

So anyway...my humble suggestions....carry a cell phone, a GPS, pay attention to the weather/wind and get off the ice if any doubt. It just isn't worth it. You can always fish another day.