close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This thread could save your life

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by MiketheElder, Nov 19, 2006.

1. gilly

gilly

Good read for sure and scary as hell. Glad you all survived and sounds like just barely.

First thing that comes to mind is who wants to buy a shanty?:D

Second thing is don't fish when winds and/or storms are predicted. Check the weather as you would before heading out on the boat in soft water.

My wife bought me those orange plastic ice spikes to pull yourself out and up onto the ice should you go through. I am going to carry them around my neck or on me from now on versus in a bag somewhere with my gear.

Cell phone in the bag and maybe using my kayaking dry-suit are two other ideas I got from the thread.

Great info thanks for sharing some of your survivor advice......

2. Peter the Great

Peter the Great

Come on Guys ,i started ice fishing 1 Year ago ,that is scary.:gaga:

3. toker

toker

W O W!!!!!! scary stuff their, happy all were ok. No such thing as to much saftey. I'm a newby!!! first year on ice, i love it and try never to let my guard down, I'll never forget what i just read!!! Happy your still fishing with us

4. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Glad you made it off ice o.k. Thanks for sharing story. Lots of good advise on here. Just everyone remember to do your homework and research before venturing out on any ice. If you learn about the conditions and what to look for, odds are less dangerous than driving your car you'll end up a fatality. But as with driving, and accident can happen at anytime. The more on the defensive and less chances you take versus pushing it that little extra that you know you shouldn't, the better your odds are to come home alive.

much better to be over cautious than over anxious.

5. firefightentaz

firefightentaz

With the warm weather coming in please be careful. Watch the weather, watch for a sudden off shore wind, ask about your area your fishing in. Make sure you also know your surroundings too.
    When you are out try to have some kind of flotation If not in your suit at least within reach. A pair of ice picks help out and there are a couple of posts that give some great ideas on how to make them. If you do fall in DO NOT STRUGGLE. This will make matter much worse. You will loose body heat and dexterity faster. If you can not get out after a couple of tries, grab the ice and try to face shore. Bring your knees up and wait. This will help keep your core warmer.
    If someone does fall in near do not approach them. If you want to do something throw them a rope but do not get close the ice is going to be a lot worse by them if they fall in. If you don't have a rope make sure someone is calling 911 if they already haven't. Keep talking to the person reassure them that help is on the way and try to keep them calm and do what I said earlier.

6. jimbo

jimbo

this is what see every year on inland lakes.
    on first ice, i alway go with some one else. ( & bring a rope)
    i always take a spud & spud my way out on the ice. as with the other early guys that know what they're doing.
    pretty soon there's a dozen or so guys out there. most of us in some kind of a group because we can't get out any farther.
    then along about 9:30, some 350 lb. guy comes out alone with an 8" auger thrown over his shoulder. he'll walk right up to some one without checking the ice himself. & wonder why you're yelling "easy there big fellow" .
    or he'll try to walk out to a place that somebody else has tried to get to & stopped because the ice got too thin.
    bring a spud & check the ice yourself. heck sometimes i'll carry both a spud & an old 5" spoon type auger. i'm not crazy about a guy banging a hole right next to me, but i'm not crazy about some body falling thru either.

7. naterade

naterade

Thanks for the sticky on this topic.

A couple of thoughts for safety that I have adopted as well:

- Keep your cell phone in a ziploc bag so that if you go in and get out, you can call for help if needed.

- Carry a few foil survival blankets (cheap, packed small, light). Could save you from hypothermia if stranded after getting dunked.

- Carry hand spikes with extra long cord that you can use as a rope to save someone else.

- I have a set of bibs and a coat that float me if I go in (you can't do better than a Mustang suit for being stuck in the water but is a bit much for the 99.999% time you hopefully are on the right side of the ice). My son wears a CO2 auto inflating vest.

- Always take a compass reading of the shoreline when you setup (I have GPS but always carry a good old-fashioned compass just in case).

8. chuckwagon157

chuckwagon157

Scary stuff. I always keep my spikes around my neck.

9. Minnowman09

Minnowman09

Thanks for teh story, it will have me thinking more about my saftey when we go next time.

10. Michigander1

Michigander1

Scary but a good warning.I had a friend out there one day.Dont know how long ago this was but heres his story.He was out with a bunch of buddy.His name is Billy Beayne/Beamer.They was out any knew nothig about them blowing up an ice jam north of detoilet.Well the wave make it all the way down to metro where they was at.They keep hearing something but had no idea what it was.Billy was looking way north and could not belive what he was seeing.He said it kinda looked like a wave.They all started looking and like know way in hell it could be.By the time they knew something was wrong they all was running for thier lives.Leaving all there gear ect.Jumped onto the quads and you know what.By the time they reached the shore .The wave already passed underneath them.8 feet from shore was all water.All made it but 1 guy.He tryed to do like the others with his quad and blast it over the water to shore.He sunk but he lived.From what i hear it was in the paper how they almost lost there lives due to an ice jam blown up miles away.Crazy but true deal.BTW folks use to make fun of me wearing a ski vest underneath my gear.I use to tell them .I may freeze to death but i wont drown.I have a thing about walking on ice without being very safe.Reason i dont ice fish much,Mich

11. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

Biggest thing he was saying is becarefull, you never know what can happen. I have been blessed by the lord to be with us. Three years ago while fishing in Febuary on the river for stelhead I took the spill we all dread. Was in rubber waders with no belt and it took no time for them to fill and formyself to go under. due to a knife around my neck I was able to cut the waders and a lucky rock caught me and put me back up right. Had a little explaining to do to newago cops when I walked up to my truck in the skin. Did not take him long to have emergency rescue out on the seen.

At that time I have seen it happen to others and allways thought I would not be one of them. That day has change the way I enjoy the outdoors. Plus the wader I will buy.
    Ice is a living object it grows and dies in a way so never take your gaurd off it on any lake. And when on the great lakes remember the lake is more powerful than yourself.

12. eddiejohn4

eddiejohn4

Thank God you survived, that was some experience. Thank you for posting also as ice fishing is a dangerous sport and one must be as careful as possible. And even then it can turn treacherous in a heart beat.

I hope all have a safe and fun season.

13. Sutton

Sutton

I remember that rescue I was 13 at the time, just a reminder no ice is completly safe ice, kinda weird I was reading this and thinking about how me and my buddies rode our 10 speeds up to ginos and down near metro to see the action and all of a sudden I here sirens and see lights ends up being an appartment complex up in flames acrossed the road Im pretty sure no one was hurt I give coast guard and fire departments big credit I hope everyone has a safe and sucsesfull ice fishing season good luck

14. kmonty

kmonty

Scary stuff, i had that happen to me up in Marquette. 3 years later, i joined the Coast Guard. So here i am today, stationed in Grand Haven Michigan, going through my ice rescue training! I hope to god we have good ice this winter!

15. James Dymond

James Dymond

I think i might have took on that 8 to 10 foot gap only 100 yards from shore when I new it was getting larger. Jim