this season Ice fishing on Portage Lake, (Onekama)

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by Micky May I, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Micky May I

Micky May I

This winter was pretty bad for me and my buddy's for Perch. Just curious about other guys success or lack of. Hopefully they'll start hitting when the ice leaves completely. Went by the west end Thurs. and the lake was open from about Adam's point west. No docks in at state launch yet.

2. marbleye

marbleye

according to the dnr they wont have the launch in on the west end until the middle of april. weather depending

3. kmauntler

kmauntler

First ice I tried out from PPI road, just East of Little Eden and did not find perch, of any size, in any numbers at all. I usually don't have to fish anywhere else till last ice. Didn't even try it again all ice. Didn't see the normal number of guys fishing it either on my way home from work each day. The next time I went was the next weekend (Early January) and I went to the deep hole in the middle, off M22. Did well there for 3 Saturdays and then started going to Sag. Bay for walleyes...Didn't even go back to the middle, but noticed no one else was fishing out there much either. I did go off Tosebo a couple of times. First time out I did ok fishing on Andy's point side, East of the bar. Second time I tried looking for better numbers and struck out. Third time out was on a Friday evening about 3 weeks ago, right about the time the West end started breaking up and only one other guy fishing. I had a great hour and a half- ended up with 26 nice perch. I tried the East end a couple of times from 6 feet to 12 feet and caught a few decent perch but was too early or they weren't biting.

4. Micky May I

Micky May I

That's great that you did get into em a few times anyway. I did get some keepers but not in any #s The majority of my fishing was almost straight out from where 22 heads north by Portage Point rd. Anywhere from 15 to 24 ft. of water. I did fish east of there also around the same depth but I did try a little deeper, as far as 30 ft.. I'm walking so that cut it down a little as far as movement goes. Thanks for the reply K. Maybe they'll go this spring. Good luck when you get out.