close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is a weird fish story that happened yesterday

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Doughboy1, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Doughboy1

Doughboy1

IMG_0705.JPG Id been casting without any luck at all (except for being fishing and not working) for about an hour when I hook what feels like a real good fish. I'm using an ultra light so pretty much any fish feels like a real good fish, but this one was taking out line like crazy and I was just having a blast with him. Soooo I get him close to my kayak and suddenly he becomes like a dead weight. I held my rod still and there was no twitching or anything. So I figure he must be wrapped in my anchor rope. I pull up the anchor and up he comes. A nice largemouth. My lure dangling in the corner of his mouth. I grab him by the lip and suddenly notice my line in no longer attached to the lure. It broke off about 1/4 inch from the knot. (Which is kind of weird too). Do not ask me to explain it. I have no idea. But if I was to guess, Id say the line wrapped around his tail and the anchor rope. Because he didn't move a bit as he was pulled up. And it must have broke just as I grabbed him.

Had he got away he would have gained about 5 inches and a few pounds in this story. But he was a legal 14. Fun fish thou.

Hardly worth a picture...,but any legal bass is a nice bass.

2. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

How do you cook your largies? Just pan fry or you have another recipe, been years since I ate one

3. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

I pan fry them up with the gills and pike and whatever else we catch, can't tell the difference. I don't keep them late summer though when they are in shallow warm water, pike either. Also butter, onions and lemon pepper on the grill is an awesome way to cook them, as well as walleye.

4. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

Our crew always keep a few for clam/fish chowder. Half cook whole plain fillets in olive oil, fresh crushed garlic, coarse black pepper and a cpl shakes of red pepper seeds. Place whole fillets in simmering chowder for 15 minutes or so. Chunk with spoon and stir to distribute pieces. Mmmmmmmm. Shrubby

5. hiljak102

hiljak102

I through them back there sport fish to me walleye and perch are better in the pan

cstroh and Yardman like this.
  6. zzcop302

zzcop302

Interesting story !
    Like a few of the previous posters, I like the occasional bass fillet mixed with my other catch, usually Bluegills and perch or other panfish. We normally pan fry or deep fry them. Just as good as the others imo.
    I rarely hear anyone mention it but we like Rock bass also, very good eating when I can find them.

7. Doughboy1

Doughboy1

I love rock bass!!! And like a few mentioned. I mix all the fish together and fry them. Delish!!!!

Tom_Miller and jiggin is livin like this.
  8. zzcop302

zzcop302

I have found just about any fish caught in Michigan can be good eating if properly cleaned and cooked, even the ones that aren't considered popular for the table.
    One of the things I do when cleaning fish is to completely remove the skin, no matter if I am filleting or gut cleaning them.
    I like them without the skin regardless if I am pan or deep frying or broiling.
    I have cooked fish over the years for people who claimed they didn't like fish, but were surprised to find they liked what I cooked up.
    What I've found is most people who think they don't like fish is because they had a bad experience eating fish in the past.
    When you ask them what it was they didn't like it's usually because of "to boney" or "to fishy tasting or smelling".... well if it's cleaned and cooked right these issues are eliminated.... when I fix fish, I make sure it's free of bones, fins, skin, and well rinsed prior to cooking.... that's if it's filleted.... if it's gut cleaned fish I still remove the skin and fins, but the important thing to do is show the person HOW to eat the fish... I've seen people just take a fork and try to cut through the body of the fish and end up with a mouthful of bones.... most of us who fish and cook and eat what we catch already know how to eat a gut cleaned fish once it is on the plate lol and it may sound silly to tell someone the best way to eat a fish, but I have found if I do show them,it usually turns a person who thought they didn't like fish into a someone who does.
    If they just simply put the fish belly down on plate and run their fork along the spine and peel the meat downwards towards belly they will end up with a boneless bite .... sounds simple and it is, but many people not familiar eating fish don't know to do this and end up with a bad experience with eating fish.... not because of flavor, but because all the other reasons.
    Well, I am off to cook up a mixed skillet... 3 Brookies and 2 jumbo perch...
    Hope everyone has a great weekend and a happy 4th of July.

9. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

I do make walleye chowder occasionally, usually in the winter. My mom makes a shrimp soup that is amazing, and my wife makes homemade clam chowder that she has to hide on me or I'll eat it until I'm sick, it's seriously that good.

I never thought of using bass, it doesn't flake as much as walleye, I bet it would be perfect. Thanks for the idea! Pike would be great too.....

10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

I've found the same. I love turning people onto fish who weren't previously. Some just really don't care for it, and that's fine, but most times I've had similar results as you.

Tryin2 and zzcop302 like this.
  11. zzcop302

zzcop302

Yes, it's enjoyable to see someone who thought they didn't like eating fish, change their mind.
    Also, for those of us who catch our own fish, there is a very noticeable difference in the quality and texture of fresh caught fish and those you buy in the supermarket. I feel sorry for people whose only experience eating fish has been canned tuna or fish sticks lol !!!.... no wonder they weren't impressed!!
    I've eaten fish occasionally over the years in restaurants and some of it has been good, but even then, at least for me, it's hard to beat some simple deep fried Bluegills at home.
    Some cornbread or fresh biscuits and some corn on the cob and you couldn't find me a restaurant who can beat that!..... now if someone would just come in and do up the dishes life would be perfect!

12. jacktownhooker

jacktownhooker

on a few occasions up north when all I caught was bass I kept a few and boiled the fillets and made fish cakes , same recipe here on walleye cakes

a few times I have marinated fillets over night in Italian dressing then slapped them on a hot pan and seared both sides tasted good, should try that with smallmouths too

13. Doughboy1

Doughboy1

One of my go-to meals at a restaurant is Fish and Chips when nothing else gets me excited. I usually love it, but it never comes close to home fried fish. I just wonder sometimes about people saying they don't like fish.

14. zzcop302

zzcop302

Have to admit, I have enjoyed fish and chips myself when they are done like they do in England... with lots of malt vinegar.... not for everyone I understand lol.
    But I agree with you, hard to beat your own fresh caught fish cooked at home.... this thread is inspiring me to catch a batch of panfish!!!!!..... not that I ever need to be prodded to go fishing lol !.... Not sure where you are located Doughboy but we live in the central U P and I have yet to see the Bluegills spawning yet although I haven't tried searching them out in last 10 days or so.
    We have had cool, rainy, and windy weather more often than not most of May and June... just curious what other members who read this are experiencing in their home areas as far as the Bluegill spawning.... just wondering if it's late for everyone else?
    Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

15. piketroller

piketroller

The original post reminded me of a similar strange catch I had earlier this year. I was catching pike on a soft swimbait on a jig head and found a school that I was getting a fish on every cast. I use a leader with a large snap swivel with this rig. When I got my fifth fish in, the lure was gone. The pike must have chomped down on the snap just right to open it, letting the lure eject itself and at the same time the open snap hooked itself on the fish's lower jaw. The fish had then rolled once getting the leader behind one of the gill covers and that was secure enough to land the 22" fish and swing it into the boat with the rod. Truely one of my strangest catches ever. By the time I dug out another jig head and rebaited the school was gone.