This ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mrcheese, Oct 31, 2020.

1. mrcheese

mrcheese

This morning I shot an 8pt around 815am. It went about 15 yards and hit the ground. It was just out of my sight due to some trees and tall grass. After a few minutes a 6pt walks up, sniffs the blood from the impact shot then walks over and proceeds to beat up and gore the 8pt I shot. They were literally banging horns as the 6 tried to show his dominance. I could hear them grunting and hitting each other! The 6 stayed around for about 30 minutes and every once in a while he would go over and mess with the dead/dying deer. I could see blood on the 6’s antlers. This all happened just out of sight of me all I could do was hear. Eventually the 6 left but it sure was crazy to witness.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

mrcheese likes this.

3. steveboss

steveboss

I have not had that with deer but I did see that with a big Tom turkey and 2 jakes. So it would not surprise me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Now with 2 bucks, but I did shoot a doe one Nov 15th morning, and apparently she was in heat. About 10 minutes later I noticed antler tips above the brush where she ran and fell. Then I heard him grunting, and the brush started thrashing everywhere. All of a sudden my dead doe came flying up about 5 feet in the air and flopped back down! He had hooked her with his antlers and tossed her trying to get her up so he could breed her. Eventually he came out to a doe bleat I did and I shot him too. Nice 3 yr old 8 point.

5. JS714

JS714

This was viral a couple of years ago. It's actually quite funny...the guys couldn't chase the one buck away, even firing a gun. But, then a woman's voice is heard...

6. Tryin2

Tryin2

Happend to me a few years ago shot a nice 8 that dropped just out of sight about 40 yards away about a half hour later I hear horns banging together right where the 8 disappeared then few minutes later out walks a giant of a buck of coursehes walking away and .....naturally I forgot my grunt call that mornin ...he found a bedded doe and ran out of my life forever well not quite forever my buddys uncle killed him about a week later mile down the road the damn thing ended up being a state record with a handgun.

vsmorgantown, mrcheese and wpmisport like this.
  7. Grandriverrat

Grandriverrat

Was hunting with a buddy and watched him shoot a doe that died within 30 yards of him. 20 minutes later a buck come across same field on same path as doe. He walks up to to and proceeds to try and flip her with his horns. After being unsuccessful in reviving her he walked right up to my buddy again on same path as doe took. My buddy got busted trying to draw on him. Pretty funny to watch.

vsmorgantown and mrcheese like this.
  8. mrcheese

mrcheese

Here's the videos. Make sure you listen cause the video itself Isn't great.....

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

Awesome experience. I’m totally jealous congrats

10. stickman1978

stickman1978

Would have been awesome to witness. A lot of people never even seeing two live deer fight.

11. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

Couple years ago i shot a doe that was definitely in heat. Two spikes were chasing her all morning. She dropped on the spot and the two spikes kept coming up to her and kicking her. I started aggressively grunting and they eventually left.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Grandriverrat likes this.
  12. mrcheese

mrcheese

I felt bad for the 8pt because I knew he couldn’t adequately defend himself but was also concerned if i walked up too soon I could jump him. I’ve read/heard so many stories of “dead deer” getting up and taking off.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman