close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of bowing out of ice fishing...

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by d_rek, Jul 27, 2017.

1. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

How old are the kids Drek ? Ice fishing is an excellent way to get them "hooked" since they can see. Kids don't seem to care the size of the fish as long as there's fish

Mr B, stickbow shooter and Jimbos like this.
  2. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I used to take mine to the Thames when the wallies we're coming in hot and heavy, they had a riot, and if not there it was Kensington for the crappies.

3. d_rek

d_rek

They are 6 and 3. The kids love it but they don't last long. Hard to justify a trip with the kids all the way down to LSC when they might only last an hour. Probably that sounds a little selfish but hauling all that crap and setting up is a lot of work lol. I do take them on the inlaws pond that way I can leave my shanty setup and it worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISTURN3 and snortwheeze like this.
  4. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Have a good north end canal that mostly ALWAYS produces, sometimes big gills, sometimes little. But it's and easy on off, building houses near it now though so let's hope we can still access it come ice. Would love to take kids. Remember my old man would drag me around on a sled when i got bored for a bit. Hook fish for kiddo's and hand off the rod, bring shovel's and have em build a snowman, have the 6 yr old drag the 3 yr old around on the sled, have a snow ball fight.

Hope ya stick with it and the kid's pick it up. I'm ready for hunting before ice though !! Been shooting a while already

MISTURN3 and stickbow shooter like this.
  5. PERCHGILL

PERCHGILL

Unfortunately, I typically make only a half dozen trips out on LSC, around Metro Beach area, usually in late January & February. Depends on available play time, ice conditions, etc. I would really like to take advantage of the canoe I have to pop into a canal or two to fish pre-first ice & post last-ice periods.

6. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

I can understand why you'd want to get out of it. I know for me though, I could never give it up. Something about getting on the ice and pulling a nice walleye or perch up through the hole.. shoot even just going and looking at shanties at Franks..

Everything about it I just love. I could care less to step on a boat in the spring or summer. Just give me ice.

I haven't been able to make it out since 2014 due to sub par ice and having a newborn. But I'm looking forward to this year. Especially going shanty shopping since I just sold mine.

hawgeye likes this.
  7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

8. Buddwiser

Buddwiser

I'm in the same boat as d rek. I studded the track on the old Phazer last fall and never took it out of the garage all winter. It sat there the winter before last also. Its going up for sale this fall along with the trailer but if I don't sell it and the ice is decent (ha) then perhaps it will see some time on the ice. I know I shouldn't be but I'm one of those that isn't counting on the winter co-operating.....again.:(

9. thill

thill

I'm kind of in the same situation. No kids, but I find myself rolling my eyes when asked if I'm looking forward to ice fishing. I used to get all pumped up about getting on the ice and planning trips to Simcoe or northern mi, but now I find myself ice fishing when there's nothing else to do. I have a ton of gear, sled, quad and time, but off season scouting has taken priority over ice fishing and I now hope for mild winters. I am also planning an out of state hunt to KY public land for 2018 so I'll head south every weekend I can to scout instead of ice fishing. I am keeping my gear only because I have a couple nephews 11 & 12 who absolutely love ice fishing on their private pond and I will never give up taking them. Plus most my fishing buddies now have families, kids and more obligations taking up their time.

Mr B likes this.
  10. Firefighter

Firefighter

Hey D, I just looked at some of my ice fishing stuff and couldn't find an expiration date... Whew! Reckon it can sit idle for a bit because interests, like game populations, cycle naturally.

You sell it, and it'll be that much more expensive when you undoubtedly want back in.

MISTURN3 likes this.